New American Fridge Freezer delivery

Lambchops

I am getting a new fridge freezer delivered tomorrow & just have a few q's:

• In order for them to take away the ff that I currently have, I need to have it emptied, defrosted and unplugged...what do I do with my freezer full of food in the interim?
  • Aren't they meant to take all of the cardboard etc off the new fridge and take it with them?
  • When I plug in the new fridge/freezer, how long will it take before I can put my food into it?
Thanks....I'm not gonna be there for the delivery so I want to brief the parenys ! : o)

Could you ask a friend/neighbour to hold these items in their freeezers for you in the interim? Ideally you should have planned a head and used up as much of what was in there by this stage, but too late for that now.

They can't be expected to take away a thawing freezer that will leak.

I believe if they are a member of RePak then they are not obliged to take away all packaging.

The manual that some with the new one will specify how long to leave it before putting any food in it, usually in the region of 24 hours.
Leo

In order for them to take away the ff that I currently have, I need to have it emptied, defrosted and unplugged...what do I do with my freezer full of food in the interim?
Eat it or find somewhere else to store it I suppose?
Aren't they meant to take all of the cardboard etc off the new fridge and take it with them?
Not necessarily - I think it depends on whether or not the retailer is a member of REPS. I think that if they are then they are not obliged to take the packaging back. Or maybe it's the other way around.
When I plug in the new fridge/freezer, how long will it take before I can put my food into it?
The manual should answer this one.

You should probably wait for the freezer section alright but I don't think there would be much harm in using the fridge section after a couple of hours?

Frozen stuff, well wrapped in newspaper will be maintained longer than you might think - but not 24 hours. Could you arrange a possibly slightly bizarre meal which only consists of the thawed contents of the freezer?

(I'm only half joking by the way)

Thanks guys...yeah I know that I should have planned better...but I didn't think that they'd be delivering a ff (special order) in under 7 days....oh well.might just throw everything in a few freezer boxes & hope 4 da best : o)

Thanks.

Just a word of warning lambchops, I bought an american style fridge freezer with the icemaker. It is a phillips whirlpool in black. I had to take both the front door of the house and the kitchen door off their hinges to get it in. I also had to take the front door handles off of the fridge to get it in, and after all this I only almost got it in with millimetres clearance. these fridges are also extremely heavy and two strong men would not lift it.
My doors are standard opening width, I think 760mm wide

Fridges are also supposed to be left overnight before being plugged in to let gas/oils settle, otherwise your compressor could die prematurely.