New American civil war?

Purple

The [broken link removed] have broken away from the Union.
Send in the 7th cavalry!

If these guys are not careful they could be relocated to their new homeland in Guantanamo Bay!

Going to Guantanamo and becoming martyrs might work for them. At the moment they've no one from the top ranks of the Lakota Sioux tribes in their group.

Looking at a map of how their territory has been eroded over the last 150 years they'll be completely gone in another 100 years.

If these guys are not careful they could be relocated to their new homeland in Guantanamo Bay!

I don't think so. While Mr. Cheney could argue with foreigners or the odd US citizen to send a whole nation to Guantanamo will not work. Not even Mr. Cheney is that crazy.

I say god luck to them, it's about time that someone speak up to misstreatment the freedom loving US goverment is providing to their own native citizens.

If it is in deed so that the Federal goverment is not fullfilling it's obligations out of treaties that I think it is right that the party that is not getting what s/he deserves is getting out of that treaty.

Now that is a fundamental part of law and culture, so good luck to them.

I hope they get what they deserve, sometimes most "whites" forget that we are immigrants to the country and have mostley stolen it from the natives or accired it with "treaties" to which we should stick.

If I sign a lease with someone renting my house and he does not pay, I evict him. Well maybe it's time we get an eviction unless we pay/do what we are suposed to do.

As presumably these people have the exact same rights, access to social services etc as everyone else it seems scandalous that in a place like the US, any group - geographical, minority or otherwise - should have a male life expectancy of 44.

Don't know enough about this though - I understand e.g. there is a degree of autonomy but I'm wondering does identity/pride/local politics prevent some of them from availing of services that would otherwise improve their lot?

I know alcoholism can be a big problem too.

As presumably these people have the exact same rights, access to social services etc as everyone else it seems scandalous that in a place like the US, any group - geographical, minority or otherwise - should have a male life expectancy of 44.

To be fair its not just a US problem. Aborigines in Australia, Maori in New Zealand, Travelling Community in Ireland, Gypsies in Romania etc

To be fair its not just a US problem. Aborigines in Australia, Maori in New Zealand, Travelling Community in Ireland, Gypsies in Romania etc

Yes I agree, but it was my understanding that native Americans had more autonomy (maybe I'm wrong?) than the other groups you mention and I'm wondering if availing of this autonomy, even when more advantageous options are available, is sometimes to their detriment.

Will be interesting to see how the US deals with this.

Yes I agree, but it was my understanding that native Americans had more autonomy (maybe I'm wrong?) than the other groups you mention and I'm wondering if availing of this autonomy, even when more advantageous options are available, is sometimes to their detriment.

You are probably right. I honestly don't know enough about it.

Will be interesting to see how the US deals with this.

Ohh they will probably be classed as insurgents who have terrorist training camps, harbourin' Al Quida & have weapons grade plutonium buried in them there hills.

They'll send in the troops!

Ohh they will probably be classed as insurgents who have terrorist training camps, harbourin' Al Quida & have weapons grade plutonium buried in them there hills.

They'll send in the troops!

A little thing called Posse Comitatus Act would make it difficult to do that unless the US congress would say that the US is in a state of war with the nation of Lakota.

The President could use the Insurrection Act to send troops if the states can't deal with this, however the question is as in how far that applies to indian reservations due to the fact that the tribal police is the law enforcement agency there. I can't see the tribal police requesting the US goverment to help them restore order.

This is going to end in front of the supremes , I don't think that either the Lakota Chiefs or the Department of the Interior is going to have violance in this.

And than again the question is also as in how far the people that initiated this are actulay speaking for the Lakota nation.

If they do than this is going to be interesting.

Regarding the topic title, interestingly the Indian Wars between the colonists and the indigenous people were not regarded as civil wars. More like conquests. The actual american civil war was fought between colonists in the Union states and the Confederate south. I know that some indians fought for both sides but I wonder whether the red indians got or expected anything out of thier allegiances.

A little thing called Posse Comitatus Act would make it difficult to do that unless the US congress would say that the US is in a state of war with the nation of Lakota.

The President could use the Insurrection Act to send troops if the states can't deal with this, however the question is as in how far that applies to indian reservations due to the fact that the tribal police is the law enforcement agency there. I can't see the tribal police requesting the US goverment to help them restore order.

This is going to end in front of the supremes , I don't think that either the Lakota Chiefs or the Department of the Interior is going to have violance in this.

And than again the question is also as in how far the people that initiated this are actulay speaking for the Lakota nation.

If they do than this is going to be interesting.

.... I jest of course...... an interesting situation all the same though

Just to put in a local angle, the average life expectancy for a person with cystic fibrosis in Ireland is 21. In Northern Ireland it's 33. In Britain, they live longer again, reaching up to late 40s in the US.

Back