New account for wages

billy-bob

My company changed the way they pay us at the start of this year, going from 12 monthly payments to 26 fortnightly payments. This is playing havoc with the budget I worked out last year as there are some fortnights when I'm paying out waaay more than I earn (all my direct debits and mortgage payment are during the first week of the month) and some fortnights when I'm paying out diddly. It all comes out in the wash, but it's difficult to work out where problems may lie.

Thinking tonight, I think I've come up with a good solution, but could do with some advice. What I want to is set up another account in my bank (ptsb) and get my company to pay the wages into that account. Then set up a direct debit between both accounts towards the end of the month for the amount I was getting paid last year on a monthly basis.

The only downside I can see is having 2 bank cards (which includes a laser card so I'd end up paying another what e20 on the duty), but are there any pitfalls with this idea that I should look out for?

If you don't use the laser card on the feeder account, you won't have to pay duty for it.

I don't recommend it. It's very messy having two accounts. You may end up paying fees on one of them.

Change your mortgage to fortnightly - this will save you significant interest costs over the lifetime of the mortgage.

Complainer it's not just the mortgage (and it's not an option anyway) I've got a ridiculous amount of direct debits coming out during the first week of each month (which was fine when I was paid monthly)

Anyway, I went into ptsb today and opened my second account. I 'qualified' for free banking on this account aswell, and while I can't avoid the charge on a second laser I mean visa debit card, it's only a fiver these days, so I'm ok with that.