new 2011 ford focus 1.6tdci, any views

villa 1

Hi Folks. The better half is looking to buy a demo model 2011 Ford focus diesel. Has anyone views on this particular model?

Ford Focus have been around a very long time & keep selling well.. from what I can see they are a good solid reliable car... I have ford diesel myself (not a focus) and have had no issues with it... If the car "fits" - then go for it... you should be entitled to the 2 year warranty (think the 2012 models come with 4 year). Haggle on the price, get extras thrown in if you can... cash is still king at the moment...

One thing with the diesel (across all new cars - not specifically Ford) - is the car going to be driven a lot or just city driving? Why I ask is that I saw a programme on BBC (not too sure if it was "watchdog") that highlighted issues with diesel cars only been driven around city & the filter thats in place to reduce emmisions becoming clogged up. Solution initially was to take it onto a motorway once a week to get up the revs on the car for 30+ mins... but over time that may need to be replaced if not looked after...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Last edited:
Been driving a 1.6tdci Zetec (95PS model) for last 6 months, have 9000km on it and no issues to date (other than a recall for a software update that took 20 minutes). Very economical especially when compared to my previous 1.4 litre petrol. I do mainly city driving but have taken it on a few long runs with a full load and it was more than powerful enough. If you want to know anything specific just ask

Hi Crunchie!! Is the 1.6 90hp engine powerfull enough for the car and does the dpf go into regeneration mode if you do a lot of city driving?

It's a 95PS in the current model and I'm more than happy with the power. I've done a few long runs with full load and had no problems overtaking, etc. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the dpf question

I took a 67 Focus 1.6 TD for a test drive and was impressed, if pulled better than my 1.8 petrol