Never paid LPT or Household charge, no letters or wage deduction???

sprinkler

Hi all,

There has been no LPT or household charge ever paid on my home. It is our primary residence (family home) and is mortgaged.

We have never received any correspondence in relation to either taxes EVER.
Should we step forward now even tho we wouldn't have money to pay arrears/fines etc or say nothing???

Well I wouldn't say "Nothing", you going to get billed sooner or later. It was your responsibility to register your property for the household charge back in 2012 so saying you never got no correspondence EVER won't wash with Revenue. They was enough media coverage about it at the time for you not to have heeded it.

The Household Charge (Due for 2012 ONLY)
The Household Charge (HC) was an annual charge introduced by the Local Government (Household Charge) Act 2011 which was payable by owners of residential property. It was a matter for owners of residential properties to register and pay the HC on or after 1 January 2012.

1. Household Charge Arrears (payable to Revenue ONLY)
From 1 July 2013, any outstanding HC liability (including late penalties) was increased to €200 and is payable to Revenue.

[broken link removed]

So you now owe €200 for the household charge which was due in 2012. As you didn't register your property, you didn't receive Revenue's estimate for the property tax which came into force in 2013. As far as I am aware there are no penalties so far for failing to pay the property tax so your best bet is to contact Revenue and come to some sort of a payment agreement to pay the arrears for the amount due over the last three years.

Bear in mind you cannot sell your property until all such charges have been paid.

Last edited:
We have never received any correspondence in relation to either taxes EVER.
Should we step forward now even tho we wouldn't have money to pay arrears/fines etc or say nothing???

Amazingly enough I've never received correspondence either, but that's because they cannot figure out how to post the letters to my address as it is abroad and that causes their computer to go into meltdown. But unlike you I've paid for everything.

Do you really really think someone on here is going to tell you to say nothing. Is that what you came on here to ask. If you do go down that tack please don't come on here in 10 years time when you are selling and faced with a massive bill running to the thousands and penalties and interest on back taxes to boot and tell us all you got no correspondance and didn't know you had to pay it.

Currently there are any amount of people who sold in teh last couple of years and faced bills of thousands for NPPR, which if they'd paid annually would have only cost them 200€ annually. That will be you in a few years time if you don't get your act together and get yourself registered.

Interest charges at 8% per annum apply to late LPT payments and penalties may also arise.

LPT is a self-assessment tax. You are obliged to register and pay LPT whether or not you received correspondence from Revenue.

You need to deal with this immediately.

Do you really really think someone on here is going to tell you to say nothing. Is that what you came on here to ask.

Sprinkler’s question was;

‘’Should we step forward now even though we wouldn't have money to pay arrears/fines etc or say nothing???’’

I don’t think sprinkler is necessarily looking for someone to tell him/her to say nothing, sprinkler is looking for advice, is that not what this this site is all about ?

sprinkler, the simple answer is yes. It is your responsibility to pay your taxes. If you don't then they are entitled to apply some fairly severe penalties and it doesn't matter whether they sent you any correspondence or not. The onus is on you to pay not on them to ask.

I don’t think sprinkler is necessarily looking for someone to tell him/her to say nothing, sprinkler is looking for advice, is that not what this this site is all about ?

You're probably right, apologies to Sprinker (probably shouldn't answer some questions as they get very repetative and my sarcasim genie comes out)

Back