Networking options

L

Laneyh

Hi
I am currently based in England but owing to an illness in the family
my work have made allowances for me to work from Ireland is necessary
I'll be based in the family home which at the moment only has dial up internet access.
I suspect the dial up would work out fairly expensive as well as being pretty slow
I'm looking for any advice on setting up a basic broadband option
or possibly a wireless network.
Is it possible to have pay as you go broadband or would I need to
fill in a 12 month contract ?
Also with wireless my laptp already has an inbuild wireless card
so do I just need a router and a network provider - sorry am a bit clueless.

Thanks
Elaine

that link will waste your time, its full of marketing crap from crummy one way satelite operators and various snakeoil merchants.

name a county at least , there are regionalised providers especially in rural areas

also test the family home for DSL by entering the number in the line checker here

does it pass ?

2Pack said:
that link will waste your time, its full of marketing crap from crummy one way satelite operators and various snakeoil merchants.

I disagree its a government website with a listing of providers and their websites hardly a bunch of marketing crap.

It may be dominated by satellite providers especially if you input areas away from the main urban centres but that is likely due to the fact that all the satellite providers are able to reach almost 100% of the country unlike most the other options.

Still though stay away from satellite unless it is your only broadband option.

Also it is not 100% accurate, I know of a wireless operator in my home town which is not listed.

hi

Thanks for your answers . The area is Cork city and my number passed
so I should be able to sort something out fairly quickly

Cheers

Back