Network Repeater.

slookie

Hi all. I have a wireless router in my house upstairs. The cable for the broadband comes in from the attic and connects to this router upstairs. The signal is 100% perfect upstairs, but because I have concrete floors on the first floor, sometimes the signal isn't great downstairs. It's fine with my laptop, but with the I phone, I need to move out into the hall to get wireless signal. I can't move the whole lot downstairs, as the broadband cable coming in isn't long enough, and anyway it wouldn't look the best with cables etc.

Anyway, my cousin recommended that I get a wireless network repeater for downstairs, which will hugely improve the signal he said. Can anyone verify this. Must admit I've never heard of them. Any help appreciated.

Anyone provide any help? Surely someone out there has one of these. Don'y want to waste my money buying one, if it's not going to make any difference.

wifi is line of sight and doesn't like concrete. Newer standards (11n etc) are better but still not perfect in that regard. A repeater could help but would have to have good signal to the router so would have to be positioned in your hall or somewhere like that.

Wired ethernet is best of course but if you don't want to do any wiring, I have had good experience with homeplug ethernet over power line adapters. You can get a pair of these from most electrical retailers or online. I have my broadband modem in my office connected to a wired switch and plugged into the wall socket and then another one in the hall connected to a netgear wireless access point for wifi devices. Works very well for surfing, etc. You would need to buy a 2nd WAP if your existing router is a ADSL modem/WAP combo but they are fairly cheap these days.