Netopia 2247 on BT DNS very slow?

phester

I configured an eircom netopia router instead of my Zyxel modem last night. All works and just for saftey I even tried to put in both BT DNS .240 & .241

Now I can surf but every new page takes about 10 sec to the browser gose from looking up www.google.com to downloading the page. I have tried pinging address and it works after a pause but the timing is still 17ms. Now I have tried some online DNS tests for timing and they come up with a figure of 133ms round trip. This does still not sound too excessive. I have tried using one of eircoms DNS but with the same results. THe old router works as good as always so I really think its something I set up wrong.
I have set the necessary settings
PPOE LLC
etc
etc
All these test are done through a wireless link. But that should not make any difference. Skype works as good as always so I think its still a DNS problem

Any body come across this before?

Why not eliminate wireless from the equation by doing a wired test?
Are you absolutely sure that you have configured all DSL and related settings identically to the old modem?
Is there any later firmware upgrade available for the netopia router that might help?

Ill test the wired route tonight. well yes the settings are identical to the zyxtel as best that I can match the way that they are represented. I tries the firmware upgrade. I think that it was r2 and I upgraded to r6. The latest eircom firmware

Well Im not sure if eircom do thier own firmware. But the new firmware is still badged by eircom

But on to the problem. I have confirmed that the problem is router specific. not down to the wireless. In fact if i have the computer do the DNS resolving it works fine. If the router does the resolving with the same DNS server I have to wait 20 sec for each resolve. All ping times come back normal.

ie 1st ping says 17ms but it does not count the 20sec +of pausing before the ping was sent

Strange - any detailed logging available on that router that might give some insight into the slow DNS problem?