Neon headlights for E46

some1gr8

Hi

Just a quick question, for Neon (blue) headlights for 3-series, do u just need to replace the ordinary bulb with neon bulb or u need to install something else as well

You might want to check if they are legal to use on a public road.

These guys have an online chat service and might be able to help you - www.micksgarage.ie (chat service left hand side below the index)

Don't do it, you will look like a chav ! Besides, blue lights on anything other than emergency vehicles are illegal.

I reckon youre on about Xenon ligts.
The proper ones come with electrics and it's not just a job of switching the bulbs.
You can get bulbs that give the "look" of xenons - Brilliant white, or white with a blue tint.

It sepends on what you are after - the look (which I guess you are) or the better light for driving at night.

Something like philips osram or Philips Blue Vision will prob do the job.

Mik

Do you mean something like this [broken link removed]
(as an example - I'm not trying to flog anything) or do you just mean bulbs like Osram Night Breakers or Philips Brilliance?

Legal/illegal

Well its being used in most of the new BMW and Merc, and i bought it from micksgaradge.ie and it says that it is perfectly legal to use them

But they are not the "Proper" Xenon lights.
There are aftermarket kits that can be bought but cost a couple of hundred quid, they are proper Xenon lights and will give off a lot more light than simply replacing the bulbs.
However these should only be used where the car is fitted with automatic headlamp levellers and washers.

some1gr8: You asked about blue neon headlights....they would be completely illegal and you WLL get done, and rightly so as you WILL look like a plonker.

The ones Mathepac linked to are the real thing (albeit a cheap version), including ballasts etc. They give off a much more 'white' light. I've never heard anything about having to use them with cars with automatic headlamp levellers and washers, however.

As far as I'm aware there are HID kits out there that are real but only the guts like the bulbs and ballasts, you've got to remember the light housing which is set up for regular halogen bulbs might not be suitable for HIDs, there are reflector and projector housings and respective bulbs. For cars that have them as a factory option you'll usually notice they are projector and have 3 things in common, automatic light levelling, headlight washers and that the washers are heated. If you are thinking of getting them, go for German made with 4300k colour.

I failed the NCT today on a visual with these lights. Previous owner replaced the orignals with an after sales HID kit, although they have the washer and levelling system so the set up is pretty good. The fail was for intensity. Rang a local "quik fit" and was told they can't do anything with them. Was warned by the NCT guy under no circimstances to do this my self as the voltages are v high.

So I need someone in the South dublin area who can replace a bulb in one of these kits. Any recommendations? I can always go to a dealer but I'm thinking cost here.