Neighbours Sat dish on my side of the chimney stack

Mouldy

I live in an end of terrace house. The house next door to me is rented and the tenants have attached a satellite dish to the chimney.

The dish is attached on the chimney stack on the back side (i.e. the side that faces into the back gardens. It is mounted by a bracket, the middle of which straddles the middle of the chimney, meaning that half of the bracket is on my side. Also, the entire dish and receiver arm are over hanging my roof, so essentially I have their satellite dish in my “airspace”.

I was never asked if this would be okay and I think they have been really cheeky. Also if I wish to mount a dish, I would need to put it in the same area, but obviously I’d be mounting it on my own side of the chimney.

My understanding of party walls/chimneys is that once you are on your own side and your work doesn’t enter into the side of the co-owner, then it is nice and legal. Good fences etc. However, given that practically all of this dish is on my side of the property and half of the bracket is attached to my side of the chimney, I think I am within my rights, if I should need to do so, to have them shift it.

This has only come to light because I’m getting some light seepage into my attic in heavy rain and if the roofer tells me the dish has something to do with it, I want to know my rights.

Can anyone tell me if my assumptions are correct? Or am I wrong?

I'd contact the landlord and arrange for it to be removed & the damage repaired.

AFAIK, you need to have planning permission to have the dish at the front, I don't think it is enforced, but you can go to the council if the landlord doesn't help.

AFAIK, you need to have planning permission to have the dish at the front, I don't think it is enforced, but you can go to the council if the landlord doesn't help.

I'd have thought this one was at the back of the houses rather than the front. Irrelevant in this case either way.

the landlord might not even know that it is up as it is usually just a phone call to arrange sky.
Call him/her is the best option.

More relevant in this case, you also need planning if the dish is above the roof line, front or back.
Leo

Back