neighbours planning permission plans

speculative

Hey
Just got back from holidays and noticed after a few days a planning notice outside neighbours house (adjoining neighbour in semi-d estate). One of 4 items on it was as follows 'Construction of new 2 storey and single storey extension to rear'.
I seached Dublin City Councils planning applications site and was wondering about who I need to contact to view plans of the intended changes ?

Im a little concerned regarding impact of light into the rear of our house or my neighbour deciding to build against a common wall (Ive heard that this was not allowed in any circumstances but Im wondering about a link to legislation since this neighbour stuck a satellite disk on a joint chimney stack after a couple of months of moving in - which i know is against planning legislation ;) but for the sake of peace ... ). We intend to extend ourselves in the future so hence the concerns.

One weird thing was that the planning application outside their house disappeared between friday morning and saturday which from the little I know could be a problem for them.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

you should be able to view the particulars of the file at your local authority offices, if not on-line.
your neighbour is allowed build on a common wall (party wall) once theres no encroaching in adjoining land by any construction. this isnt generally done without neighbouring permission because eaves overhangs and parapets etc tend to encroach onto adjoining land.
if you are really worried about this you should hire a professional (architect / engineer) to prepare an objection, or at least advise you.

are you saying the site notice was taken down? perhaps the application wasnt valid.. again, check with your LA.

you should be able to view the particulars of the file at your local authority offices, if not on-line.
your neighbour is allowed build on a common wall (party wall) once theres no encroaching in adjoining land by any construction. this isnt generally done without neighbouring permission because eaves overhangs and parapets etc tend to encroach onto adjoining land.
if you are really worried about this you should hire a professional (architect / engineer) to prepare an objection, or at least advise you.

are you saying the site notice was taken down? perhaps the application wasnt valid.. again, check with your LA.

Thats good advice regarding the adjoing land - Im surprised at this as Id imagine its a source of contention to many adjoining neighbours with similar desires to build extensions. But I really shouldnt be - Id have no doubt he'll go for that approach if it suits him - will get in touch with LA. Ive no idea if the application was valid or not - the application is still on the website but the notice outside the house has disappeared. I can neighter confirm not deny that this was taken down on purpose or otherwise but Ill ask the LA for their input.
Thanks again

you must note that you can only make an objection (or submission) within the first 5 weeks of the application... after that the site notice can be taken down as well. The website should state what the final date for submissions is.

Site notices get ripped down all the time. Sometimes they have to be replaced over and over. Especially around Halloween. ;)

As long as the notices are up when the inspectors pay a visit they will be fine.

Back