Neighbours Overgrown Trees - Advice Please.

deadwood

This is my first post here and I'm sure this has been asked before, so feel free to redirect me.

I've just moved into my new house (north Cork). My long established neighbour to my rear (stop giggling) has 2 roof-height spruce trees. They are choked up with ivy and my landscaper (who claims to know) says they probably should be cut down anyway. More importantly, they block the sun for most of the day and attract midges/flies in the evenings. There are no birds nesting there either.
From my neighbours point of view, I don't think they offer any privacy but could be reduced by 10 feet or so (if he insists on keepin them) and still allow light through.
I'm going to approach him to ask if he'd let me pay for or share the cost of pruning/surgery or felling and i'm hoping my new neighbours will chip in.
From what I hear about him, though, i'm not expecting a favourable response.
Can I make him do something about them (bearing in mind the trees are long established and my house was built on a greenfield site behind his).

Anyone got an idea of the cost for this kind of work?

Thanks in anticipation.

Your only grievance that has merit but it isn't clear from your post that any branches overhanging your property can be cut with/without approval from your neighbour.

A tree being a tree ie tall and leafy is not illegal and if it obstructs light to your property you can do nothing about it, ie you have no right to light and cannot compel your neighbour to cut or reduce tree heights etc simp0ly because they are impeding your sun. You could have done something before you decided to build in a green field site?

I would expect most people would be reluctant to cut back trees espcially when they've been there long before any new developments.

Your landscaper should have known this, but for your info Tree surgeons day rates are approx € 400/man.

Depends on the appeal of the trees to him of course but you might find that he would be willing to cut them down especially if you're willing to help pay for it. He may be afraid that you would object to him removing them as he may think they are giving you privacy - I know this was the case in my father's garden and once the issue was raised both parties were delighted to remove the old trees. You won't do any harm by asking nicely - if he refuses though then you prob can't do much.

"You could have done something before you decided to build in a green field site?"

I bought in a new estate, my house backs onto his neighbour, if you see what I mean, so they don't impede on my property as such. We didn't realise the extent of the problem until we got to use our garden in good weather. I'll appeal to his benevolent nature.

"Your landscaper should have known this, but for your info Tree surgeons day rates are approx € 400/man"

I didn't go into much detail with the landscaper about it beyond discussing light for plants and patio etc..€400/man? I'll hire half a man for half a day so.

Thanks for the replies. Here's hoping he's as nice a neighbour as i am.

Back