Neighbours objecting mid-build (post-planning permission)

Had same situation a few years back. Turns out the neighbours were annoyed that they missed the planning notice so just wanted to huff and puff a bit. Best to pop over and have a good-natured but frank and firm chat. These things often blow over easily enough.

Just seen that you say they have the exact same extension, which should be pointed out. Again, think it's prob just huffing and puffing on their part. Extensions with full planning permission can't 'devalue' anything.

I would instruct my contractors not to engage here - they're on your dime not the neighbors.
As mentioned above call over to have a cordial but firm discussion. You are compliant. Do not stop or pause you're project.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Reassurance is good. We're entirely compliant and not wasting money on this nonsense. We did it all right and consulted with them with printed plans prior to planning permission submission and even gave them printed copies.
you went above and beyond to be honest.

If your extension is exactly the same as their extension you are on very solid ground. Pop over and have a chat, ask if they have any issues and then ask, so how did the neighbours on the other side cope when you did the same thing, keep bringing them back to that.

Then tell them to not engage with your foreman any more, time is money and you can’t afford him to be off the job you are paying him to do. If they give you their surveyors report, just thanks very much, I have a read of it later ( like never) or just say no thanks, that is between you and the surveyor, nothing to do with me. My build is identical to yours, fully complaint, let me get on with it so we can enjoy it.

Best of luck, you have done everything you could.

Suggest that their son has an eye on inheritance - that would put the cat amongst the pigeons :D

You could almost make a joke of the suggestion - it will get them thinking and at the same time put praise on their extension and let them know that you modeled yours on theirs because you think it blends in so well and you never thought that their extension had any detrimental affect on other houses.

We're in the middle of our renovations.

Planning permission was approved last year.
This is the beginning middle and end of the story
Neighbours have engaged a surveyor to assess access to their gutters or whatever silly reason they are using. Houses are detached and gutter access used to be via our original flat roof extension (a once-in-20-year event). Gutter maintenance for most properties in the area is from the roof.
Even if they still had the capacity to object, are they really going to do so on the basis that they need your flat roof to maintain their gutters in accordance with tradition?
Obviously, we would like to maintain our good relations with neighbours.
I don’t know why. They don’t seem too bothered themselves.
They have spoken directly to our foreman (before us) and have arranged for their surveyor to speak with him
As others have said, the builder is on your dime. Tell the surveyor where to go before he assumes you’re taking him seriously.

You are compliant. You have planning permission. You gave them plans. Discussed it with them. They had an opportunity to oppose at planning application stage.

You are under no obligation to discuss it with them at all or engage with them unless you choose to do so.

I would also instruct your builder to speak to no one but you as his contract is with you.

This is the beginning middle and end of the story
True for most but there are issues that car arise after the planning stage that only come to light as construction progresses. The planning system does not get into some of the finer details of construction and we know from threads here in the past that occasionally, in the absence of a timely observation, planning can be granted for a development that encroaches on another's property.

Compliance with all building regulations is also assumed at planning stage as they don't require detailed construction drawings. Non-compliance can be successfully challenged during the build stage.

If the neighbours had regularly accessed the OP's property to maintain gutters over the years then they might try to claim the existence of a right of way, but if it really was a 1-in-20 year event, that's unlikely to succeed.

Back