Neighbours horses ate my hedge

gramlab

Bought a second hand hose about 1 1/2 years ago. House about 3yrs old when i bought. Horses in field next door spotted the hedge last summer and munched the livin hell out of it (wooden post and chicken wire separating my garden form the field). As well as the hedge they made s*** of the fence - poor as it was. Got in touch with neighbours son and said he would sort it but also said he had a verbal aggreement with old owners for them to put up a proper fence. Between jigs and reels a guy came when i was out and replaced most of the damaged hedge with bare root plants which are fairly small and badly planted. Have tried to speak to neighbour but all i'm hearing is that he rents the field out and its sort of not his problem but he will 'sort something out' (getting sick or hearing this). Don't want to be on bad terms with the neighbours and all that but anyone got any advice?

Frankly I've no sympathy at all. Put up a proper stock proof fence yourself which is evidently what the previous owners had agreed to do and didn't.

in fairness, a special prize for most bizarre post heading in here for a long while! All that popped into my head when I read it was 'Freddie Star Ate My Hamster'!

Jeeze lads, whatever!

Actually Gramlab, I should have pointed out that in fairness if the previous owner had agreed to erect a proper stock proof fence then they should have disclosed this in the documentation when they sold to you, so you could have a case for arguing that they should pay for a fence now. That is of course if they did in fact agree to put up the fence and if that can be proved.

Knew the title would get the attention:D but enough about my 'hose'.
Just a bit pi**ed off about the whole thing as i have pumped a good few grand of dead money into the house since moving in. No mention of fence before moving in (also no sign of horses for first few months). Guy said fair enough that it was the previous owners he had the agreement with and no me. Prob with chasing the previous owners is the their parents are living on the other side of me - as i said before , don't really want to pi** off the neighbours and all that.Have also had sheep in from where the horses damaged the fence. Country Life - Cant Beat IT

P.S. Anyone who wants to talk about my hose should call 555 8965 @1.50/min. I'm not cheap but i'm worth it !!

gramlab - please note the (even self censored). Apologies for the hose joke - couldn't resist... :eek:

More than just terminology - story of my poker life!
Should ave read the T's & C's properly clubman - cheers for the heads up

Just put up a strand of electric fencing around your current fence and that will keep horses away. cheap solution and avoids any conflict with neighbours.

Guy has put up an ''electric fence'' about 6ft into his field since. Saw horses leaning against it last week - not much power going thru that baby eh:rolleyes:
Tried the white tape trick myself before that - few days later the wife rang me in work to say the horses had come thru the fence and were in the garden:mad:

Get a big fridge freezer installed.rent the house out to French students. should sort the horse problem in no time

Does anyone know what the law is regarding fences ( a boundary fence ) Is it a joint responsibility? I ask because although we have no animals, we do live in the countryside and are bordered by farmland. The farmer is the one with the animals, is it he who is obliged to keep his animals in his field by whatever means, or would it be up to me to put up a stock proof fence. We have been asked for, and paid half, of what it cost to cut the boundary hedge.We were also asked for money to cut a hedge along the road on the opposite side to us. Do farmers get grants for this work ? We would rather pay than have bad feeling over a hedge but wondered about this. Also if the farmer damages the boundary fence by doing work with a digger would he be obliged to get it repaired.

boundary hedges can be delicate issues. basically if there's any kind of ditch dividing you, the hedges/trees growing on your half of the ditch are your responsibility and anything growing on the other side would be the farmers property. this is why you'll see some loan trees growing out of roadside ditches when everything else appears cut because they belong to the relevant council and not to farmer.

i don't see how you would be required to pay for hedge trimming at all, unless perhaps it's your tree overlapping onto his land, but most farmers wouldn't be bothered by this...you definitely shouldn't pay for hedge cutting opposite your house!!

I used to live in the country and was never asked to contribute to hedgecutting opposite our house and I am amazed that you were asked to do so! On what grounds? We were told that where there was hedge growth on our side of the fence it was our responsability, where ther was no fence it was joint, anything beyond our boundaries was the responsability of either local landowners or the council.
It is the farmer's responsability to ensure that his animals are properly sercured so if there have been instances of flower munching cattle, goats or sheep as we had many of , speak with the owner!
If you had a dog/cat/horse the same would be expected of you.

Back