Neighbouring Wall

Irish_Gazza

There is a wall between my back yard and my neighbours, it is only about 4ft in height from my side, but as my neighbour's house is slightly sunken down then it's about 5ft on their side. They have a window on the ground floor side of their house which overlooks into my yard. Their kids also jump up on the wall so we've no privacy. We've only just bought the house so don't want to get off on a bad foot, but does anyone know if I can erect a wooden fence to get some privacy? And also what height can I go due to the window potentially being robbed of light! I read I can go 2 Meters but unsure about that due to the issues I just mentioned.

How far is the neighbours window from the wall on their side.

If this is at the rear of the house you can go two metres from ground level with your fence,immediate privacy assured but if you take light from their room well they won't be impressed but not a lot they can do about it, suggest you have a word with them re potential for a child falling from the wall and approach from a safety point of view, then get into it, maybe they would like the wall raised a block or two and that could resolve matters and share costs.

If this is at the rear of the house you can go two metres from ground level with your fence,immediate privacy assured but if you take light from their room well they won't be impressed but not a lot they can do about it, suggest you have a word with them re potential for a child falling from the wall and approach from a safety point of view, then get into it, maybe they would like the wall raised a block or two and that could resolve matters and share costs.
Thanks for the advise. I'd say there's a gap of about an average size door archway between window and wall, if that makes sense!

I have almost the same situation- just bought a house and the wall part closest to the neighbour's and our back doors has a bit of a dip, so we can see each other's heads if standing. I saw one of them the last day and they said hello through that low bit of the wall. Went to the house today and saw they have boarded that gap up with wood!! So I guess they didn't want to have to be looking at me either! I'm delighted cos I don't have to do anything now with it.

We had something similar (albeit without the level difference) and went with a quick word to the neighbour to inform them (not ask permission) that we were erecting a fence on our side of the wall for improved privacy and that it would be at a reasonable level and that and they were pretty understanding and just said not to have it too high (previously wall was about 5'). I wouldn't approach it from the angle of children falling from the wall etc, they'll see straight through you, could be questioning their parenting etc. I hate when people use made-up H&S issues when there's another genuine issue in the background.

Back