Negotiating the price of a new car

BobbyFowler

I was in with Windsor Motors & was looking at a New Car Van. There's a deal on it at the moment, so it's down by about a grand. I've a car to trade in which is worth around 3K. I'll get the VRT back which will mean I should get it for about 12K. Is there any room for negotiation here? Any advice on the way to proceed?

How do you get the VRT back? Just wondering.

What is the list price of the van?

I'm set up as a ltd company, registered for VAT. List price is 18.5K - It's a Nissan Almera Car/Van.

Ah VAT. Your earlier post read VRT.

I'd be looking for a cash deal at perhaps 6 or 7% discount off the list. With the €1000 off deal, that'd be about €16400.

VAT back would give you €3772.

Net cost €12628.

I hope my sums are right. E&OE.

Couldn't you get a cheaper one in the UK? VRT is €50 flat I think.

Yep, my mistake on the VRT/VAT thing
The excitement of a 3Grand saving rendered me speechless & incomprehensible
So I can buy a Car Van in the UK and all I'll have to do is pay an extra 50 Euro on top once I bring it in?
Is there somewhere I can double check this before making the move....

Quick addition to my last post -
How do I make my 3 Grand VAT saving. Can I sort that out at point of purchase in the UK or is it a lot more complicated than that....

Yep. Ring any VRO to check.

UK VAT should not be payable on a new vehicle for immedite export afaik.

Quick addition to my last post -
How do I make my 3 Grand VAT saving. Can I sort that out at point of purchase in the UK or is it a lot more complicated than that....

That's about it. Ring a few dealers to enquire further.

Cheers

checked with our friends in VRT. Looks like the Car/Van is too small to come in at the 50 Euro limit.

"Car-derived vans, jeep-derived vans and certain other vans which have a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) below 2,520 kilograms or a wheelbase below 2.450 metres will be classified as category B (attracting a 13.3% VRT rate). Such vehicles that exceed both of these thresholds will be classified as Category C (attracting a EUR50 VRT flat rate)."

See what bigger vans would attract the €50 rate?

Don't fancy anything bigger than a car van (the nissan almera car van weighs 1800 Kg) Managed to sell my own set of wheels for 2350 Euro today. So I'm ready to start some hard negotiating tomorrow

Sent an email out last night to a few of the Nissan Dealers, looking for the "Best Cash Price". Just got a call from 1 of them, saying that they'd go to 17,150 Euro. That's a 1350 Euro Saving on the List Price. Happy Enough!