Negotiating price to pay for a car

nanogoo

I would be confident there is alot of markup on the sale of cars but I am not sure when it comes to second hand cars as to the best method to gauge price. I look at second hand buys alot these days and if you look at an average make/model and check out garages there is usually very little in the way of difference. So when it comes to negotiating a price with a dealer its down to the person in question to associate value to the vehicle they are buying. As a car is a necessity for me and if its in good condition, its very difficult for me to step beyond that and differentiate how well the price of a vehicle stands up to others in the market given the prices existing within a similiar price bracket. My question is to find out what peoples thoughts+strategies are in terms of negotiating a price reduction when buying second hand. For instance, open days are quiet popular with garages at the moment and they **apparently** reduce prices quiet a bit so when you go to these garages they are not willing to reduce price very much. But then again my negotiation is harmless i think. but how does anyone know there are reduced prices when the only visible price is the one on the car. Is there anyone out there that has good strategy for negotiation with the infamous car salesman.

Thanks.

Value the potential purchase on the revenue VRT calculator. Values on the web are normally inflated.

Go in, ask salesman to show you around car. Take a (long) test drive. Get the car checked over fully. Examine service history. Establish any faults.

Be friendly but firm.

If you are still interested ask him how much for cash. Say something like "that's better but I've seen 2 others with lower mileage cheaper". Tell him what you want to pay for the car less say €500 (for negotiation). Take control. Point out the cost of any jobs that need doing to the car.

If he's miles off just say "We'll never reach a deal like this" and in a friendly and polite way, just walk away.

If he calls you back you are quids in.

Ask for extras - service, valet, new tyres (if needed), mudflaps, floormats, some road tax, etc.

Knowing exactly what the car is worth day 1 is the key.

Back