Negative Equity Tracker Mortgage Aib - Deposit when moving home

daines

My situation is : Bought in 2007 paid €320,000 deposit €60,000 mortgage €260,000.

My current mortgage is €215,000 but houses the same as mine in my estate selling for €180,000.
I have a tracker mortgage with aib. We would love to move town due to kids school work etc as we would have a much better quality of life. Houses where we would like to move are selling for €250,000. We have an excellent credit rating, both civil servants, no childcare costs (both kids in school and flexible working hours) and earn just over €80,000 between us.

To me this appears that we could borrow 3.5 x €80,000 = €280,000 maximum for our salaries.
So if we were to move our tracker and get a negative equity mortgage we would be looking at €215,000 (mortgage) - €180,000 (sale of house) = €35,000 negative equity. Move the €215,000 to the new mortgage + €35,000ne + €35,000 shortfall from house = €285,000. For this aib want a 20% deposit (20% of €250,000) which is €50,000.

Has anybody had any wiggle room with this at aib? From searching online it appears that they are sticking with 20% deposit for homemovers even though people with negative equity are exempt from that under central bank rules. I understand that aib can be as strict as they want but before we start getting our hopes up we're wondering if we have any hope in hell of negotiating the deposit. Our neighbour is the mortgage advisor at our bank so not inclined to nip in for a meeting only to be told no!

Of course we could wait and save the 20% but that would take us approx 5 years with a drop in lifestyle after already saving €60,000 not too long ago to buy our house originally.

At the moment nothing. We have approx €10000 saved for a car which we could put off buying and if we saved hard for 1 year could get this to €25000. That would be 10% deposit. The thing is although I want to move I don't want to spend the next few years saving hard. We want to get to the stage of holidays etc.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone in negative equity has had success getting Aib to take less than a 20% to move house. We are weighing up saving vs just getting on with the house we have.

Hi daines

You have very little savings from a salary of €80k

Yet, you want to switch your €215k tracker to a new home and pay an additional 1% on it.
And you want to borrow an additional €65k (?) at probably around 3.9% a year.

And "We want to get to the stage of holidays etc."

Sorry, you can't afford it.

Brendan

Hi daines

You have very little savings from a salary of €80k

Yet, you want to switch your €215k tracker to a new home and pay an additional 1% on it.
And you want to borrow an additional €65k (?) at probably around 3.9% a year.

And "We want to get to the stage of holidays etc."

Sorry, you can't afford it.

Brendan

Thanks for that I disagree with you regarding affordability. Having checked it would add approx €300 to our mortgage. Having up until 6 months ago been paying for my mother in laws nursing home almost €2000 a month we could easily afford €300 mortgage + holidays

Yes we have claimed all our tax relief. It's not that we won't save more for a deposit its just weighing up the toll of the past few years (saving for first home paying for college masters having kids) moving would make our daily lives much easier but I have to take into consideration the impact of having to save for a few years versus the quality of life we could have by not saving to move. 10% deposit would be €25000 20% is €50000 it's a big difference.

From searching online it appears that they are sticking with 20% deposit for homemovers even though people with negative equity are exempt from that under central bank rules.

Have you spoken to AIB?

From this thread, AIB only requires 10% for the trade up.

They might be more flexible as they would be reducing the loss on a their tracker mortgage.

Anyway, the rules may change by the time you have the deposit together.

Because you are on a cheap tracker, you are paying down the mortgage fairly quickly. If house prices rise, then you could have equity within a few years. Of course, then you lose the CB exemption for NE movers.

Brendan

Back