Need to reregister my cars ?

franksm

Hi folks

Have a query on what I might need to do re. reregistering my cars.

I am from Belfast and I work in Dublin, am registered here for income tax but spend my time 60:40 between Dublin and Belfast as I have a home in both locations.

I have four cars (yes, four but total value would be < EUR12,000) all with Northern regs. I normally have two cars in Dublin, and swap one of them around with one of the Belfast cars every week or so. Other than that, they are normally parked and taxed there. I am insured legally for Belfast and Dublin (paying an extra loading on the policy for doing so).

I realise that I must reregister the car that sits in Dublin most of the time as an Irish reg, and have no problem doing so, but I am worrying about driving any of the other three there.

I asked Customs & Excise in the North and they said that since the cars are stored or used (by family) most of their time in the North (bar the one car that gets used in Dublin) I must keep them registered there.

However, I still am concerned about getting stopped on the others. Is there any dispensation (a letter or rubber-stamp) given by Customs in the South so that they read my case, and if they agree that the cars should be exempt from being pursued for reregistering ?

Anyone have experience in this area ?

Cheers

Frank

It would make sense for you to keep the other three on HI plates , obviously avoiding our crippling vrt bill, if you are stopped all you have to do is tell the guard that you have an address in NI and you should be fine, maybe carry a utility bill of some sort ie electricity bill or something just to prove you are actually living in the North also. You will be fine.

It would make sense for you to keep the other three on HI plates , obviously avoiding our crippling vrt bill,

I don't think the cost for vrt is an issue here due to the op having the cars in the north for long enough not to pay it...