Need to move wall mounted electric heater but cable is too short

iamaspinner

I've got a wall mounted electric heater in the middle of the wall I want to put a desk against. The heater is hardwired through a connection point (switch plus fuse). Ideally I'd like to move the heater about 50cm towards the door but the cable is too short (door--heater--connection point).

I could try and lower the heater towards the floor but then it would be under the desk and I presume this wouldn't be a good idea.

What are my options other than calling an electrician for this massive job? Can I extend the cord somehow? Can it be plugged into a socket with the right fuse?

I'm assuming you are talking about a switched/fused/ spur unit.
If you are anyway handy just obtain a length (best practice not to exceed 2 metres) to suit of similar rated cable/flex, as I don't know the rating of the heater I can only guess, 1.5mm or 2.5mm, and replace in heater and spur. Clip cable neatly and job done !!

Edit:- Obviously kill feed to spur before starting.

Best option is to buy a longer cable and wire directly from the fused spur to the connection points in the heater itself. Take the heater off the wall (power isolated) and check the cable connections. Most should use replaceable cable connections, so it will be as complicated as gettingthe correct cable diameter and wiring like a plug at both ends.

Electric heaters can pull large currents, so they're no place to be messing with dodgy connections that can get damaged or become loose potentially resulting in a fire.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, switched/fused/ spur unit. Cable wouldn't exceed 1m in total. From the web: Cable type H05VV-F size 3 x 1.0mm2.

IMG_20190807_184756924_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

A couple of newbie questions to avoid electrocuting myself...

To isolate power, I should trip the relevant switch in the fuse board rather than remove the fuse at the wall, correct?

Does this look like it can be opened?

IMG_20190807_184752519.jpg

When repositioning the brackets along the wall (plasterboard), how important is it that I find a stud? The heater weighs approx. 5kg.

Yes it looks like it can be opened quite easily by someone who is 'handy' with a screwdriver.

Yes, isolate at the fuse board.

5kg seems very heavy for a 1.25KW heater, but if you have correct plasterboard fixings 2 will easily support it though.

OP with all due respect, the nature of questions being asked would prompt me to urge caution here.

You need to be sure you don't electrocute yourself or create a future fire hazard in your home which could kill you and yours.

This is a minor job for an electrician and thus should not be expensive.

OP with all due respect, the nature of questions being asked would prompt me to urge caution here.

You need to be sure you don't electrocute yourself or create a future fire hazard in your home which could kill you and yours.

This is a minor job for an electrician and thus should not be expensive.

Thanks for the concern. I'm planning to just disconnect it for now so that I can put the desk where I want it. I'll see if someone from work can give me a hand. I can always use the oil filled radiator if I don't get it sorted before the cold arrives.

Back