Need to change Psion 5mx

MichaelDes

I have had this hardy device for the last six years and need to replace soon, as giving problems etc. In any new device, I need to have excel and address book and would like the WiFi function for the house plus all the other wee extras. Some sort of keyboard function that is not tiny and if poss a calculator with scientific option would be a bonus. "Any recommendation that is good quality to last". Pity the Psion never developed with the times, absolutely brillant platforms and easy to use.

Please advise!!!

Are you sure that the problems cannot be repaired/rectified so that you can continue with the "old" technology since it seems to do what you need?

Are you sure that the problems cannot be repaired/rectified so that you can continue with the "old" technology since it seems to do what you need?

Considered this already Clubman.....There is a UK company that still does the repairs to these units. I think it is the ribbon cable to the screen, cost of this would be about £100 and the repair is only guaranteed for 3 months. I was thinking maybe it would be better just to upgrade to new technology. Psion blew the competition away circa 2000, it's a pity they never continued with their technology...no doubt it would have been awe inspiring.

Is the ribbon cable damaged or does it just need to be reseated? Obviously c. £100 probably makes it more cost effective to replace than repair but maybe the problem is not as fundamental as it seems?

It may just need to be reseated -normally these things are the Ribbon cable related. I could back the unit up today (do so every week)...but how would I open it up to check it out etc?

Thanks for any advice...I am quite handy electronically speaking (please no wise cracks to that). Iwould give it a go, if knew how? Failing that are there any recommendations - Anyone??? PC World would try and sell me a calculator.

Are there no guides online explaining how to open your unit? Have you ? If you need spare parts for a DIY job then eBay is one place to start looking. You might even be able to buy a broken unit just to cannibalise for spares.

Update: as per the Google link above is [broken link removed] any use?