Need someone to help me get planning permission

minion

Hi,
I am looking for the best and most cost effective way to get someone to help me get planning permission for an extension and a dormer attic conversion.
I would need someone to give me ideas on the best layout and draw the plans and help me through the planning process.
Architects are very expensive and i am told that an engineer could do this and wouldnt cost a lot.
Would anyone have contact details they could give me of such a person?
Thanks.

Hi,

If you run the search option either in just this forum or the whole board you should find plenty of previous threads on this type of subject.

Hi
Depending on your location I know someone that does designs and draws houses and extensions. He has designed about 5 houses and did quite a lot of extensions. He managed to get them all planning permission in Co. Kildare.
Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

I would advise you NOT to get an engineer...they will draw up something that will be structurally sound alright but they are not trained to take into account the design aspects, eg levels of light within rooms, ergonomics etc.

Get an Architectural Technician who is familiar not only with design and the technical aspects of it but also who has experience drawing up planning applications, prefereably within your local area. They should base the design not only on your requirements but also on the orientation of the site.

I know a girl who got an engineer (her cousin) to draw up an extension for her and she has to leave a light on all day in the sitting room! Even if you pay a bit more than you would pay a basic draftsman it will be worth it. Another tip, listen to the professionals, my boyfriend is in the industry and all too often he makes suggestions to people who stick to their guns and build whatever they have in their heads and then regret it later. It could be something simple like moving a door but it can make a big difference when you are living in it!

Hi,
I am also in the same boat . I am looking for an engineer for a garage conversion in the Cork area. Any advice.

Madam,
I would'nt totally agree with you about the engineers and architects. Architects can go overbaord and design something that can be very hard to build. One word that architect hate is buildability. And engineer may simplify the design but it will be compliant and functional. The difference in cost could be huge and especially for an extension and a attic conversion. I think most people know what they want from conversion so they should have some input into the design. The engineer (if his PI is adequate ) can sign off on the drawings and spec and do the actual planning application

Erin, I would be very grateful if you could forward your contact's details in Co. Kildare - we're also looking to do a two storey extension and need expertise in the planning arena.
Cheers - Casie.

Erin/Casie,

Could you please forward on the details of the person whom gave you advise on getting plannng permission?

Regards

Back