Need Solicitor familiar with Canadian Law

rayo

I have a property in Canada and need legal advice about my rights in disposing of it . Its complicated with another person having an interest in it. I don't have a solicitor in Canada and don't see much point going to a local solicitor here as I wouldn't expect them to be familiar with Canadian property law. I wrote to the Canadian embassy and they could't help and just gave me a list of lawyers in the general area where the property is. This I already had from the internet anyway.
Obviously I could fly over and go and see a lawyer there but this would be hugely expensive, and not very flush at the moment.
I am just wondering does anyone know of a legal firm here that would have Canadian experience or a branch in Canada.

You'd probably have to go to one of the big law firms in Dublin but that is going to cost you. With email can you not hire a local firm in Canada.

Not sure why you say the Canadian embassy was not helpful. They gave you a list of lawyers in the area, is that not helpful?

Sorry i guess I phrased that badly. I meant they were not helpful in the sense of offering me specific advice. I did try contacting some firms but most dont even answer emails, and those that do say they need you to make an appointment to see them, so back to square one.

You'd probably have to go to one of the big law firms in Dublin but that is going to cost you.
+1
just to say they are about 500 to 700 euro an hour for this sort of business so a well planned trip to Canada might be more cost effective as you will, I would imagine, need one of them on location to do the paperwork.

The local firm will only hire one anyway and add on a margin

I presume u have seen this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Canada
Being a former colony of England....

Have u looked for a forum such as this based in Canada, must be something out there where you can al least get direction on how to approach it:
Look for some text books
[broken link removed]

what about these guys http://www.canlaw.com/

or
[broken link removed]

You need to get clarification on the effect and nature of the other person's interest: eg in simple terms if its joint ownership then you will need their consent to dispose of same unless the paperwork provides for some other mechanism.

Do u have paperwork?

Embassies normally just send out a list rather than making specific recommendations.

Suggest you would be better off dealing with a firm in that part of Canada - surely some will respond to an email,

Thanks so much hastalavista for those links and ideas. I hadn't thought of going on a similar Canadian forum as this and will explore that avenue for a while. I guess eventually though a trip over there will probably be necessary and as you say would be cheaper than
going to a big firm here.

Thanks so much hastalavista for those links and ideas. I hadn't thought of going on a similar Canadian forum as this and will explore that avenue for a while. I guess eventually though a trip over there will probably be necessary and as you say would be cheaper than
going to a big firm here.

Glad to help: just make sure u know the issue(s) you need advice on before you ask, it will keep the scope and costs down: ask specific questions such as what are the steps I need to take to do X, as opposed to " how much snow will fall in Saskatchewan this winter?

If you have a look at this site [broken link removed] you could post and ask your questions. I've found them helpful and informative. Nothing to lose but as with all forums you need to be careful :)

Thanks Sue Ellen will try that too. Hindsight is wonderful and wish now I had bought that property at bit nearer home.

Back