need proof of address eventhough already a bank customer ?

J

Janeom

Hi,

I just went into my bank (NIB) this morning to apply for a credit card. However they want all the proof of address stuff again eventhough I gave them all of that when I opened the account 6 months ago.

I opened a deposit ac with Anglo Irish bank and they acceped my NIB statement as proof of address....however NIB themselves can't accept their own statement as proof of address but will accept a statment from another bank.

Is this standard policy that banks request all the id and address stuff again eventhough I am already a customer.
Seems crazy....and totally STUPID.

Janeom

Re: need proof of address eventhough already a bank customer

I don't mean to be smart but could you not show your Anglo Irish bank account details as proof of address for the CC company. AFAIK the CC department are separate from the banking division so I guess they may not co-operate (silly I know) but they may need to verify that you haven't changed address in the meantime. Bear in mind that there are some unscrupulous people out there who would go to the trouble of opening an account with the intention of 'rewards' 6 months down the line.

Stupid granted

but is this whole proof of address thing a result of legislation to safe guard against money laundering.

Re: Stupid granted

From a bank/deposit account probably but I'm not sure a CC would be that smart a way to launder money. Hmmm.... Now there's an idea. Dum de dum de dum .....

Re: Dreadful allegation

Had a similar problem but an unusual end result.

Applied for a new card (cancelled the old one before the Stamp duty). I have all my banking with the provider in question so I was surprised when the wanted photo ID, and address evidence etc.

Anyway, I got it all together put it in an envelope. Rang to confirm I had everything they needed. Posted it, and then got a call saying they needed photo ID. Apparently the copies I'd sent them weren't signed by my branch (first I'd heard of it, after checking with them).

Having been a customer for 8 years, and having gone to the trouble of ringing to check that I wasn't forgetting anything, I was P***ed off, so I told them to forget it, I'd get a card from someone else. They said they'd cancel the application.

Lo and behold a week or two later, the Card arrives in the post. I never sent them the branch signed photo evidence. Apparently they don't really need it.

-Rd

Re: need proof of address eventhough already a bank customer

I just applied this morning to open the Anglo Irish deposit account so I don't have anything with my name on it yet....guess I have to wait until they send me something but I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the credit card as going on holidays soon....

The annoying thing is that my husband is applying for the credit card (we have a joint accounts) and I am just a named user on it....but we both need proof of address. The only utility bill we get is from eircom (we live in a rented apartment and ESB is in the landlords name) who said there was a problem issuing the bill in both our names...

Did n't realise that the credit card company was seperate to the bank....which means they will probably refuse us anyway as we have only just moved back to Ireland and have no credit history.

Aaagh....
Janeom

slightly OT-banks and ID

A while ago my other decided she wanted me as a joint account holder on a savings account she had held for many years so we paid a visit to our local branch of Bank X. We live in the country and my mother cannot use the mobile banks due to impaired mobility so this necessitated a 40 mile trip to the nearest branch.

The staff refused point blank to accept my credit card statement as proof of address or my official student ID as evidence of my identity (I didn’t have a current passport at the time). First they refused to accept my college card at all: ’We don’t accept student cards as ID’. I was then told the problem with my card was that their regulations stated that ID cards must contain a ‘securely attached’ photo. Mine didn’t qualify as the photo was scanned, hence it was *part of the card *as opposed to being securely ‘attached’ to it. I kid you not.

We asked to talk to a senior official and got the same response-come back when you have proper ID. At this stage I was seething as my mother was barely able to stand at the counter and another trip back would be quite difficult for her. We threatened to move the account to BOI, but the staff just shrugged and told us we’d have exactly the same problems there. Eventually they decided that only I would have to come back with ‘proper ID‘.

We arrived home to find a circular letter from them listing forms of ID/proof of address acceptable, which lo and behold stated that college ID and credit card statements were fine. Needless to say an irate phonecall followed, and our grievances were rapidly addressed….

Banks

Aquilla,

Would you consider naming and shaming the bank???

re: name and shame

It was Ulster Bank. I don't think they asked my mother for ID, just me.

Re: slightly OT-banks and ID

This is an interesting topic and I have deleted all the posts which took it in another direction.

Brendan

Aged 84.

My elderly parents Savings Certificates at the Post Office matured recently. They opted for a "bond" this time. When transferring the money across from one account to the other the staff in the Post Office insisted that they both produce I.D. etc

Re: Aged 84.

It sometimes seems like overkill to be asked for evidence after being a customer for 10 years. But remember that the person behind the counter may have never heard of you. They have a Check Box that they by law HAVE TO fill in called "Know Your Customer (KYC)" and to tick that they need certain pieces of information.

It can happen that you provided evidence when you opened an account, but now you live at a different address. Or they can (Aparently) just lose your info.

I think most people would accept genuine requests for ID and appreciete that it's necessary. It's just annoying and farcical when they can WRITE TO YOU asking you for proof of address.

-Rd

Back