Need new router, any recommendations?

Sn@kebite

I have a Linksys - WAG354G v2 bit it seems to be on the blink. It connects to the net but won't download pages. Is there any other router i could get that is reliable and no more than €120?
Thanks!

btw, needs multiple ethernet sockets. Like my linksys does.

Re: Need new router, Any recomendations?

Are you sure that you cannot recover the existing one? Have you tried checking the router logs for info about problems? A hard reset (to factory defaults) and setting it up again? Etc. Maplin have a few routers on special at the moment in case that's of any use?

Re: Need new router, Any recomendations?

as above, Id be looking at the router. the 54g is a nice piece of kit and hasnt ever given me any issues

Id get to the route of the problem, check....
When you go to the sysadmin page on the router can you see is it getting an IP from your ISP?
Is your pc/laptop getting an IP from the router?

Also, the linksys support live help is decent.

I have broadband over Eircom copper and bought a Netgear DG834PN 108Mbps RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router a couple of months ago. It came with a USB Adaptor.

Spec: [broken link removed]

According to gamers and PC World staff (cheaper to buy from [broken link removed]) this router is one of the easiest to configure for the X-BOX.

We run two desktops, two wireless laptops and one X-Box with no probs in a standard semi-d house. I am a non-techie, but, found the Netgear relatively easy to configure for security.

To save yourself a few bob, try Linksys Support first as these routers are, in effect, Cisco routers.

Well i seem to have sorted out the problem. "touch wood" i really thought the modem had broken down. Because i leave it on for 4 days non stop sometimes for torrents. it was just some freak accident where it stopped working and i did the factory settings but when i was setting up 'PPPoE' config i was using the wrong (old) password.

mine is never turned off

For future reference. Linksys and Netgear seem to be pretty decent. But avoid Belkin, I have nothing but trouble with them. Like Ron, I never turn mine off unless theres a problem.

ahh, despite me saying I dont get any problems, I get the same issue as that where after a heavy downloading session for a long period of time (days??) Im unable to load any webpages despite all downlaods having finished.
Dont need to reboot router, go to the status page, drop and reconnect the session with the ISP and everything should be good again. I dont know whether thats a router issue or an ISP issue though.

But avoid Belkin, I have nothing but trouble with them. Like Ron, I never turn mine off unless theres a problem.

I have a Belkin 54g router for 2 years and have had no probs with it. Would highly recommend actually

mine is never turned off
I would be more enclined to do that too, but i don't have an unlimited traffic package. So i'm ok with leaving the modem off for longer as it will keep my b/width usage report utd.

Maybe that's what happened me? I must try that the next time. it's happened before but a simple power cycle would fix the problem, i was just confused when it didn't work for me now, and my old modem did.

Are you with UTV by any chance? I get that all the time with them using a cheapo refirbished D-Link DI-524 router that I picked up for US$30 a few years ago. I don't suspect the router as the cause of this problem.

Am with UTV and DON'T have this problem. Used to have intermittent problems with an old Linksys router which it turned out was notorious for overheating.

I have a Belkin 54g router for 2 years and have had no probs with it. Would highly recommend actually

Your lucky so. I'm fed up of troublshooting them for people. Ironically last time I tried to get one working with IBB I couldn't. Kept dropping the connection. Swapped it for my Netgear one with the same settings and the problems disappeared. How annoying is that. Bizarrely the Belkin works fine on NTL somewhere else. Always having weird problems like that with them. But not with other makes.