Need good value place to stay near Rome

sam h

I’m looking at extending a stay in Italy for about 5 days somewhere near Rome in August (though open to suggestions). We will be staying near Lake Garda before hand & if I can get a good deal somewhere, we may consider extending our trip.

Looking for a nice place to stay which will suit a family (kids average 10yr of age) within a reasonable distance from Rome so we could do the tourist thing for one or two days without blowing the budget.

I heard the locals disappear from Rome during August & apparently there can be great value to be had on the out skirts of the city (where it is also cooler and normal tourists aren’t interested in) but I need a location/place to focus on. Just wonder of anyone knows of somewhere suitable

Thanks

Would you consider staying in an apt in Rome? We did last year and it was great. It worked out way cheaper than a hotel and was really central. (We didnt have any chrildren with us) We used this and found them easy to deal with and the apartment was spotless...

Thanks - will have a proper look at that, but I reckon central Rome might be too hot in August. Apts look lovely & at least it confirms August is considered low season in Rome!!

Villa Palazzola just a walk around Lake Albano to Castle Gandolfo where the pope has his Summer home in the much cooler Roman Hills during August. Beautiful setting in what was once the English College but is now converted to accommodate guests. Great place for families with a lovely pool & the city centre can be reached by local train (15 mins.) or taxi 20 mins. Alternatively the Villa runs a minibus service most mornings returning in the early evening. Great value & food is fairly simple but delicious. Check it out at www.palazzola.it