Need cable for ipod to connect to AUX input in car stereo

amgd28

I recently purchased a new car, and (believe it or not) one of the reasons I went for the model I did was that it had a built-in auxiliary input for an IPOD or other MP3 player. Once connected, it can be controlled from the steering wheel.
However for the past three weeks I have been frustrated in my attempts to find the cable to attach my ipod to the connection point. I thought I had reached the end of my search when I happened on this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CCF9UM/ref=ord_cart_shr/026-0202280-7439631?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
.......but when I went to order it I was informed that it cannot be sold outside the UK.
So any bright ideas out there?

If it's an aux-in then a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable would do, (http://www.meritline.com/3-5mm-ipod-aux-straight-cable.html) these often come included in various electronic equipment so I'd guess one or two might be found at home, any reasonable hi-fi store would be able to sell you a cable - for a couple euros at most.

You probably won't gain that much by using the ipod dock to 3.5mm connector - maybe a consistent output volume - but you'll not be able to control the mp3 player from the car stereo using either connector - apart from volume, it simply gives sound out from the mp3 player and has no connection back - as far as I know.

What kind of input does the auxiliary connection have? A 1/8" minijack? If so you need a bog standard 1/8" to 1/8" cable available in any audio or electronics shop. If the connection box is proprietary, though, and it sounds like it is if you're supposed to get control from the steering wheel stalk, perhaps you need something from or http://Dension.

I've been looking to get a connection system for my own car lately and all the car audio shops here are trying to sell me a €50 FM modulator for €200, none of them seem to stock the better CD-changer modified connections. (CD changers - remember them?) :)

Can you describe in more detail or post a picture of your setup and maybe someone can help.

Hi extopia,
the aux input is a connection similar to that on a HI-FI for connecting headphones to. On my original post, I had a link to the product I wanted to get, so that will give you an idea of what I am looking for.
DrMoriarty - I checked out ebay, thanks for the link. However I have a long standing issue with my PayPal account - cannot recover my original password as the email address I signed up with is no longer in use. So I tried to cancel the account and set up a new one. All going well until PayPal said I could not register the same card twice. I've tried everything on the paypal thing, to no avail. So, can't use ebay with no Paypal
Back to square one?...

Did you try any of the Eircom shops? They carry a lot of i-pod accessories/connecters.

Might be handy

But iPod euro site there is over 100 listings for ipod accessories

I typed in ipod car and got

[broken link removed]

Might be worth a look ,

i have also seen guide.apple.com that gives quite a range of products for the ipod and car

Ill check back later to see if i can get a closer comparison

[broken link removed]

If it's an aux-in then a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable would do, (http://www.meritline.com/3-5mm-ipod-aux-straight-cable.html) these often come included in various electronic equipment so I'd guess one or two might be found at home, any reasonable hi-fi store would be able to sell you a cable - for a couple euros at most.

You probably won't gain that much by using the ipod dock to 3.5mm connector - maybe a consistent output volume - but you'll not be able to control the mp3 player from the car stereo using either connector - apart from volume, it simply gives sound out from the mp3 player and has no connection back - as far as I know.

The sound is supposed to be better from the dock connector than the 3.5mm jack. Plus, a retractable solution seems like a good idea in the car - you don't want your cable getting tangled around your gearstick (ooh! aar!).

Why not have a look in the O2 Experience store to see what they have?

Back