Need advice for gas fire

Splash

I'm looking for insights from AAM'ers on assessing a chimney's suitability for a gas fire. House is 2 years old, and was originally setup for an open fire. As I wanted gas, the builder put in place the gas apparatus, i.e. the tube that can be connected to the gas mains (excuse the rudimentary explanation I'm new to this!). Builder assured me it was fine to use gas, and now I'm ready to buy a fireplace, and a 16" convector gas box that claims 86% efficiency. This is to heat the room rather than just for effect.

Is it necessary to go to the expense of getting a qualified gas man in to check BEFORE I go off to buy the fireplace, and have it fitted? I'm concerned about a strong down-draught in the chimney. If it's unsuitable for gas, plan B is to revert to open fire and then get gasman in to disconnect. How complicated is a smoke test to check the chimney? Opinions appreciated.

I presume the shop you are buying the fire could tell you? I would imagine that it would not be a problem.You might check to see if you need additional ventilation though.

When we got a gas fire serviced a few years back the guy released a smoke bomb in the chimney to make sure there was a proper draught,he said that if any of the smoke came back into the room he would have had to disconnect the fire. It may be one way to check the chimney, I think I saw them in B&Q a while back .

Back