need advice for buying new car

some1gr8

hi all

i am thinking of buying new 2nd hand car(from UK) either BMW 320D (2001-2003) or Mazda RX8(2003-2004),
i want relible and not too expensive on feul,

To be fair you are looking at two very different cars. If it's reliability and economy you are looking for go for the 320D (they're still fun too if pushed hard).

Older RX8s are starting to show wear in the linings inside their rotary engines, an age old problem that Mazda has still not found a cure to despite years of trying. They are also quite thirsty beasts.

However...

Just look at an RX8 and tell me you don't want one....

They've got a certain something haven't they...

But I would go with the BMW every day. Make sure you look for a high spec (leather, trip computer, satnav, etc, etc) model in a desirable colour(i.e. black) with M-Sport body kit and 18" wheels. Also look out for cars that were bought with the 3 year service agreement (services free for first three years) as Irish dealers will honour this. That way you'll have a great looking car, you could save up to €10k on buying it here and you'll have a car you can use and enjoy without worries...

Before you buy, check out how much VRT you will have to pay. This could make the difference between it being worthwhile or not.
Remember VRT is based on the perceived value of the car over here, not how much you paid for it.

Also consider other costs, eg ferry, etc.

hi all

i am thinking of buying new 2nd hand car(from UK) either BMW 320D (2001-2003) or Mazda RX8(2003-2004),
i want relible and not too expensive on feul,

If reliability and fuel consumption are your criteria, it has to be the BMW on both counts.

The Mazda RX8 is notoriously bad on both points.

have my 2004 bmw 320d two months now. imported it from england. 65k miles when i got it. bought the m sport model. it is doing 46mpg at the mo country driving. worked with a fella who had the rx8 two years ago bought it new handed it back soon after because ofengine problems. highly recommend the 320d, comfort and economy! the vrt hurts doh

Back