Need a very wide door custom made, where?

DaveD

I need a single double glazed external door made, 176cm wide (about 5'9"), by 200cm high, preferably out of wood. Any door/window manufacturers I've asked (Rationel, Dansk, ect) all have a limit of about 115cm wide for a single door, the limiting factor seems to be the weight of such a large door on the hinges. The only suggestions they can make is either a double door that folds back on itself to one side, or to get one custom made by a joiner.

So, anyone know of a good joiner in Dublin or thereabouts that could/would make such a thing?

I don't want a set of double doors as I don't want a double width of frame down the middle of the opening when closed.

Are you changing the frame as well - would you consider putting a sidelight on one side or both sides? If you put a sidelight on both sides and a 1m wide door you would still have aprox 10" of glass on each side.

Exceptionally wide but low door - the average garage door with double doors is aprox 1m wide for each door

Its replacing an existing window so a new frame is needed also. I don't want anything other that the door and frame, the height is a standard height door, so maybe more like 220cm, don't have he exact measurements to hand.

A large rectangular wooden framed double glazed door, picture a normal glazed back door and stretch it wide and that's what I want.

There's a lot of things to be considered here. Firstly, a door of this size is theoretically possible to make, hang and use, however, once you get to this sort of width it would need to be 2.5" thick and that's a lot of timber, especially for a teak door. Finding hinges to hold it would be the first problem; maintaining the integrity of the door panels within the styles would be the second problem; and making up a frame strong enough to hold the weight over a number of years would be the third...

I would recomend either a double door or side panels as suggested above. I know you may initially be adverse to this but talk to a few suppliers and joinery manufacturers to see what they suggest. The company I work for does exactly this sort of work (I won't actively advertise... and we're the other side of the country anyway) and I would generally talk over the problem and design something to be made in our own factory that suits the purpose.

Good luck!!!

Thanks PetrolHead, looks like I'm going to have to accept the fact that its a headache not worth having and get double doors out! Advice much appreciated.

I don't want a set of double doors as I don't want a double width of frame down the middle of the opening when closed.
Why would there be a frame down the middle of the opening? I'm hoping to get French doors out the back of my house next year, and so far as I'm aware, there wouldn't be a frame in the middle. Is it because your door will be made out of wood? Just curious.

My reading of it is that the poster does not want to have the timber styles (sides of doors) of the two doors meeting in the centre as this would mean that they would have aprox 300mm of timber down the centre, they would prefer to have glass. With double doors they would have this.

Exactly!

Would a fully glazed door (commercial with no surround at all) like what you sometimes see in shops and hanging from a floor & overhead hinge solve your problem.

Would a fully glazed door (commercial with no surround at all) like what you sometimes see in shops and hanging from a floor & overhead hinge solve your problem.

Don't think so really, need a wooden frame around it I'm afraid. I think we'll just go with double doors and live with the compromise.

If you put in sliding doors you would only see 110mm of timber but you would only have less than half of the ope - double doors seem to be the best option.

Other than the fact your ope is that size, was there any particular reason you wanted an over sized door? Is there any need for access / wheelchair / trolleys etc?

If not I think the best looking solution would be to have side panels with a combination of solid panels and glazing however you choose and a door (over width if required) hung centrally in the ope, again with any combination of solid panels and glazing. That way you would avoid unsightly masses of timber where the styles meet in the centre of double doors and it would allow you scope to choose or design what ever you want.