Need a good smoothie maker

Sarah

Hi all

Im lately making my own smoothies with a kenwood blender and having disasterour results....went to make one this morning and the thing started to smoke and smelt horrible...i use frozen fruit as i like a thick smoothie but the fruit isent even being twirled around!! so am wondering does anyone have any advice on what would be a good smoothie maker...obviously my blender is only able to handle juices. I have heard getting a hand blender is better for tougher mixes but not sure about ice and the like...can anyone point me in the right direction before i blow myself up with the knackered blender at home!! Cheers!

Have been using a hand blender for the last 5 years without a single problem.. deals with ice/frozen fruit without any problems. Also very quick to clean, so would recommend them over blenders.

hi Sarah,
We got a Vitamix last year and are absolutely delighted with it. It makes smoothies as thick as you want, ice cream, soup, baby food, you name it and it can do it. What we like is that you use the whole fruit, pulph and all, which we think is important for fibre, roughage etc. Only problem is the price. It is from memory 550 euros bought at the gardening exhibition in Mallow last June. Would we buy again! ? Yes. My sister asked us to get one also, which we ordered on line. Delivery was ok, a little slow, but they charged us some extra than agreed when we ordered. Check the website and see if they are doing a show exhibition in Ireland sometime. Cheaper there and no hassle. This was the way we bought the first one. Let me know whta you do. As I say they are expensive. Optimistic

I use one that I bought in LIDL and it works a treat. To use ice you need a glass jug and special blades which most of them have (even the LIDL 1 has).

I looked at the ones that have the turn-on turn-off spouts which look very snazzy but decided to go with the standard liquidiser type as it is much easier to clean.

I buy the strawberries fresh in the summer when in season and spread them on a baking tray (after washing et c)and freeze them and then transfer them to a freezer bag and the don't stick together which is great when you want to take 4 or 5 out for the smoothie!

Optimistic...i think € 550 is a bit much for my pocket but thanks for the tip.. Any other ideas?

I have a Kenwood Smoothie Concert (its in Argos book) but dont really see the difference between that and a blender. If i put in frozen fruit first and then everything else, it wont really twirl fruit either. I found that if you add yogurt, juice or whatever first and the frozen fruit last it works better.

I use a handheld one (Kenwood). We have it for years and it's great. Make the smoothies at the sink...quick wash and it's back in the press.

Has anyone tried the Del Rivio orange juice from Aldi (not from conventrate)....it's yummy at only 1.89ltr.

I bought the DISNEY one in Argos 6 montsh ago and use it every day. No bother with frozen fruit/ice cubes etc. easy to clean and only around €40 euro.

Thanks for the replies,

I had a look through the Argos Cat and i see a hand blender - Phillips with a 600W motor. I wonder would this do the trick as the motor is as if not more than powerful as some of the smoothie makers? Can anyone give advice?

I use a hand blender, and use a long narrow container. I use frozen berries, never had a problem. Washing is then very easy. You do need to invest in a sturdy hand blender, I had a cheap one that just was not up to the job.

The hand blender i got was € 30 its a phillips one. It was the only blender there that had a 600W Motor which i presumed that it would do a better job with a stronger motor??? Would i be right in this?

Back