Need 4 new tyres

Mongola

I do need to replace all 4 tyres on my car. It is a Freelander and the required tyres are the following:

215/65/16 98H M+S

My garage quoted me 135 per tyre (a few months ago they had quoted me 160 e per tyre...hum) but I am wondering if I could get better value.
I am not an expert at all on tyres but I believe there are a few points to consider when choosing tyres...any recommendations? advice? tips?

Would also recommend Camskill...got below last week with £30 shippin(less vat). Ordered them tue and they arrived Fri...great value
2 of NANKANG TYRES 225/40R18 Price £98.08
4 of AVON TYRES 225/45R18 Price £406.64

Try to avoid the cheaper brands. Stick to the reputable names.

Goodyear/pirelli/bridgestone/michelin etc

When I got (4) tyres last year one of the big tyre places quoted me €140 each, eiretyres.com (who I had bought from before) was €105 for the same tyres . . but my local back-lane tyre guy did the exact same (Dunlop) tyres for €85 each, fitted/balanced and took the old ones.

... 215/65/16 98H M+S ...
These are off-road tyres and are useful in mud and snow (as distinct from Marks & Spencer's :)). If you don't use the car off-road, why not fit ordinary road tyres and improve the grip and feel of the car on normal road surfaces and reduce tyre noise?

point of note for those freelanders, make sure you fit 4 same size tyres, different tyre on the front to the back can seriously harm the differential gearbox

Would also recommend Camskill...got below last week with £30 shippin(less vat). Ordered them tue and they arrived Fri...great value
2 of NANKANG TYRES 225/40R18 Price £98.08
4 of AVON TYRES 225/45R18 Price £406.64

You're putting 18" Nankangs on a car ?
Brave man !

Well the 18" Nankangs are track tyres for the Brother Mitzi lengum which he is bring to Nurbergring shortly..dont think they will last to long

Doing the 'Ring on Nangkangs ! :eek:
The tyres may last, but not so sure about the rest of the car !!

If you're looking for cheap tyres with a good reputation, may I recommend Federal SS595.

For low cost longevity during 'normal' driving (not sure about other properties) Hankook were recommended to me a couple of years ago and I've been using them since.

Reasonably impressed so far.

Thank you all for the advice. I will definitely stick to the main brand as suggested by Eng Car 1. That is if I still have that car! Let me down..again this week...But thanks!

hi all
i have been running nankang for 5 yrs now still have 3 on the car have priced 4 new nankang on eiretyres.com priced at 248 for 4 thats delivered to the door
theredfox

Not to harp on about this, but Nangkang, Linglong et al, are a false economy. You 'might' be lucky and not need the extra traction that others give you and they may last 10k more than others and so be a complete bargain, but considering that tyres are the only thing connecting up on 1000kgs of vehicle at 100kph to the road, then maybe you shouldn't skimp so much.

There are other cheap tyres that are much better than those above. Try Federal SS595 for example.

If not, I hope I don't meet you on a bend, on a wet road, while trying to avoid me !

Back