Nearly bought a crashed car

Check out my previous posts here! I was almost stung too....the car, a 2006 silver toyota celica, is still advertised on carzone today,despite me emailing them to report it as a category`D` write-off in the UK. Cartell saved me €18,500!
When buying a used car...trust nobody, check all documentation and history check it!
p.s. the owner is aware of the car`s history!grrrrrrrr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before but I've used www.carcheckireland.com a few times.

Excellent service, much cheaper than the AA or Cartell and available at short notice (the AA often aren't).

Bernard is a gentleman and very thorough.

(No connection, just very satisfied customer)

Is there anyway I can prevent the garage selling it on to some unknowing buyer? ... I believe the garage were honestly unaware about the cars history

Now that they are aware they are obliged to tell prospective purchasers should they ask about the car's history. Any friends who'd go in and ask about it and see what the garage has to say?

CAt D is only minor cosmetic damage....nothing to be worried about imo, and certainly not a 'write-off' unless it's an old car where the value of the car is less than the cost of the repair, making it an 'economic write-off', not a 'physical write-off'.
I would readily buy a Cat D car as I know that it's been repaired by the insurance company at a reputable repair shop and has no bearing on the structural integrity or driveability or safety of the car.

My car was driven into in a carpark a couple of years ago and needed a new front wing. Nothing in the slightest wrong with any other part of the car apart from a dented wing. That would make mine a Cat D if I had needed to go through the insurance.

"My car was driven into in a carpark a couple of years ago and needed a new front wing. Nothing in the slightest wrong with any other part of the car apart from a dented wing. That would make mine a Cat D if I had needed to go through the insurance.
This is a £20,000 (sterling) motor(new), it`s only two years old now and had it`s `accident` when almost new, it must have been some damage to have been written off and it was written off! I have the report in front of me.Besides if you did buy the car and consequently had a crash in it I`m damn sure your insurance company would have some wriggle room as to any possible pay-out.
I`m sure the resale value of such cars is next to nothing unless someone wanted to take a chance and keep it `till it died.
Anyway there are a lot of `straight` cars out there so no point in getting saddled with a lemon.