NCT - Vehicle licensing certificate really required?

wheeler

Does anyone know if I really need to bring the 'Vehicle Licensing Certificate' when i bring my car in for the NCT?

Depends purely on the official involved. Some are absolute sticklers and won't allow a test without it, others don't give a rats This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language and will test away.

OK. Thanks. The test is tonight so it's a bit late to start a quest to find the thing. I'll let you know how it goes for future reference.

Why do they ask for it? I had my NCT on Thursday and spent a day looking for my VRC but again they didn't even mention it. While I was waiting for the test a man asked if his neighbour needed it for his NCT and he was told NO.

It is in the regs somewhere that they can ask for it.

I think it is to verify that the person presenting the car for test is the owner.

They told me some years ago that they only need to note/see it for the first NCT and its not required after that but I still prefer to bring it along in case I get a stickler who sends me away to get it.

Usually keep these type of documents in small fireproof safe for ease of find and handyness sake.

I also keep all the car's documentation together in the same binder. That way I know where to start anytime I need any document regarding the car.
I found the system really useful when I traded my car in at the beginning of 2008. Everything was completed mere days (that includes registering for tax, insurance switch, property cert).

Back