NCT Test - number plate query.

SlurrySlump

My wife's car is due for it's NCT test shortly. There is one small problem with the number plate on the car. The white middle piece of the letter D has fallen off the number plate. This has been painted white and looks fine. Will the car pass or fail because of this?

For the sake of the cost of a replacement plate it might be better to play it safe and have it sorted beforehand?

Bring it in and see what they say.
You will be advised to change it if you need to and as it's a visual inspection, you will not be charged for a reinspection

i had the same isuue with the C in mine. A bit of tippex and bobs your uncle. No issue at the nct!

My car was failed on its NCT yesterday because the letters on the number plate are 55mm high instead of 70mm. I checked the record for the last test, and the plates weren't mentioned as having been tested at all. Is this a new criterion?

Yep, in the last 2 or 3 years. BTW you can get a large fine for not having the correct plates.

BTW you can get a large fine for not having the correct plates.

As a BTW too, does a fine apply if you haven't got the standardised plates when stopped by a cop? i have gold and black plates, whcih I chnge when the NCT came around to get through test because t irritates me why we all have to have these uniform looking plates on our cars!

..............got the standardised plates when stopped by a cop? i have gold and black plates, whcih I chnge when the NCT came around to get through test because t irritates me why we all have to have these uniform looking plates on our cars!

Well that really irritates me, why shouldn't all drivers observe the law of the land in relation to number plates? The use of italics, script, shadows and different colours all reduce legibility. Number plates are not a fashion statement, try a furry dice instead!

Did I read somewhere that a number plate with 2 different counties on it is also an NCT or legal problem? My motorcycle has an 06 LH reg, but the plate has Baile Atha Cliath on it.

LMAO. Relax! Different colours, scripts, shadows do not, IMHO, reduce legibility ..unless you need glasses! I'm talking about retention of individuality here, not making fashion statements!

It is grand to have flash plates but I look at it this way. If for example, a hit and run situation where you or someone else is injured, wouldn't it be beneficial if the offending car had a legible number plate

Flashback!!!

A lot of these plates you see on these cars will show distorted on the speed camera picture. So standardisation is needed.

It's the law, driving under the influence is also unlawful, even if you are a poor farmer living in a remote location whose only social outlet is the pub....

mrs cu's lawnmower with roof ( daewoo matiz) flew through the nct despite the fact that lu was not on the number plate in small letters above the numbers. on neither plate.