NCT pass then NCT fail within 6 months.

Kimmagegirl

My car failed it's NCT test this week due to wear on the car's Wishbone/bushes.

My car had only passed it's NCT test last August and was again being tested 6 months later. There was only an additional 1000 miles on the clock between tests.

My car has only 12000 miles on the clock, though it is 10 years old.

Would Wishbone/bushes normally need to be replaced after 12000 miles?

I just get the feeling that they were looking for a reason to fail me?

It not quite as simple as that, rubber/composite bushes are also affected by time decay and hardening as well as weathering and, as you say, mileage.

But usually not a major job to replace.

I just get the feeling that they were looking for a reason to fail me?

You shouldn't look for conspiracies when there are so may possible other explanations.

• The first tester may have made a mistake
  • The first tester may have exercised his judgment in letting it go
  • The second tester may have been a bit on the harsh side
  • The wishbone/bushes may have actually deteriorated from just about ok 6 months ago, to just not ok, now.
Brendan

Some cars for example the older Primera's used to wear their bushes excessively fast, one of the reasons they fell out of favour with the taxi's. Especially if they used lesser quality parts.

12,000 miles, have you had since new? it could have been clocked

Owned since new. Great little car. Had to replace tyres last year so I know what SparkRite is saying. Not sure about any metal bits wearing out though.

Owned since new. Great little car. Had to replace tyres last year so I know what SparkRite is saying. Not sure about any metal bits wearing out though.

Just so you're clear Kimmagegirl, bushes are not metal.
They are generally rubber and/or composite material. Some may come with
a metal sleeve or insert but the bush itself will generally be rubber.

12,000 miles on a ten year old car is nothing. Not driving your car enough can do damage as much as driving it too much. The car depends on movement to keep parts lubricated and working correctly. Unfortunately all cars need work eventually.