NCT on friday - car needs work NOW

sallyann

Help, just had a service plus NCT test and and car needs loads of work which garage said will cost €800. 2 new tyres and front brake pads and brake fluid needs replacing. If I defer NCT test it will cost me €29 euro but I cannot affort the work done by Friday, day of NCT. could anyone recommend someone in Dublin 3, 5 or 9 area who could do this work?

Many thanks

Why not get it tested?

If it fails you will get a list of what failed ..... could be worth finding out if that €800 quote is accurate or a fleecing.

... car needs loads of work which garage said will cost €800. 2 new tyres and front brake pads and brake fluid needs replacing...
It must be a Porsche Carrera GT - crazy money. Main dealer? Did they give you a written quote?

Its a 2001 Nissen Micra and yes it was a main dealer. Just don't know what to do?

If it was me .... I'd take it to be tested.

You'll get a report on why it failed. You'll then have a list to take to a garage(s) where they'll quote you on your list.

Like mathepac says ..... it's crazy money.

.... just saw the 'main dealer' ...... they'll charge you top rate ..... you need to shop around ..... get it tested .... get your list and shop around for a quote ... then get it retested.

Last edited:
Unless I am missing something that work looks more like €200 max on a micra.

Have it tested anyway.

Thank you for your replies, will do as you suggest and get it tested anyway. Then go on from there and get a few quotes.

I had the same situation with an old Renault in Jan last year. It had a pletoria of problems. I sent it in to see what they'd say was wrong with it and it passed the NCT in 5 minutes flat! Haven't even got the car serviced since.

They are a waste of money those pre nct services.

Just take the risk and see if the car passes.
If it does,then great.
Get it serviced normally then.