NCT expired for 1 year on car I'm thinking of buying

millertime

I'm thinking of buying a car from the brother (who has been in Oz) for over a year, the car was due an NCT test in early 2005. If I do a change of ownership and will the NCT test be back dated to 2005 or to the date I bought it?

It will be backdated to its original due date and therfore will have to be done again in early 2007

If the car was due for an NCT in say Feb 2005, then it will be be again in Feb 07.
You can do the NCT up to 3 months early so the second NCT can be done in DEC 06 ie NOW, and wont be due again 'till feb '09

Talk to the people at NCT, they can be quite helpful if you speak to the right person.

I have done this myself so it can be done.

Hope this helps you .

Do you really have to back date the NCT when there is a change of ownership?
R

I emailed the NCT people and no response!!!. Seems a bit of a waste testing a car twice just for the sake of it

Why bother getting the nct done at all....at least wait untill the nct people write to you..if they will.
You will have no problem getting tax and insurance...won`t ask about your nct.
I had a friend who had a small hatch back, who tried to get an nct ....anyway he was finally told it was a type of car/van and didnt need to have an nct and it`s a real banger.
Drive on an don`t worry.

Why bother getting the nct done at all....at least wait untill the nct people write to you..if they will.
You will have no problem getting tax and insurance...won`t ask about your nct.

That could prove to be costly advice; , specifically; "It is an offence to drive a car that is liable for testing without displaying a National Car Testing service disc and offenders will face fines of upto 1,500 Euro."

If however you are in an accident the lack of the nct may void some insurance policys and if they discover a potential nct failure point that could have contributed to the accident you'd be screwed.

I had a friend who had a small hatch back, who tried to get an nct ....anyway he was finally told it was a type of car/van and didnt need to have an nct and it`s a real banger.
Drive on an don`t worry.

In that case, it's considered a small commerial vehicle, and needs the d.o.e. test carried out every year.