NC6 form in limbo, 3.6 MWh exported with no credit

Fergal

Hi folks,

am wondering if I have grounds to complain to the CRU (https://www.cru.ie/make-a-complaint/complain-to-your-energy-provider/) because ESB Networks refused (and still refuse) to accept the NC6 form submitted by the solar installers. The reason for rejecting the form is that the name and phone number does not match the account holder. The form's MPRN and address was correct but has my name whereas ESB Networks had only my wife's name and number.

Timeline
2021: I have an old day & night meter and was not aware of 'deemed export'.
2021: Installed 18 solar panel (7kW peak) with a 5kW inverter.
2022: Phone ESB networks to ask to be prioritized for a smart meter ... they said that there weren't updating day and night yet
2022: Phone Electric Ireland to put my name on the the account (they call this a 'note of authority', is needed for proof of residence, not related to solar)
2023: All my neigbours without solar now have a smart meter so I phone ESB again and they post a letter saying the meter is coming
2023: Phone again, same thing happens again (letter in post) but then nothing
2024: Phone more frequently and in early summer get contact details of contractors they are sending to install the meter
2024: Smart Meter is installed in early July and phone Electic Ireland to ensure that I will finally get paid for exports.
- They say that I am not registered as a solar exporter and I need to contact the solar installers.
- Solar installers say that did submit and esb probably lost it.
- Email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie who say that they rejected the NC6 form because of incorrect nane and phone number and I need to get my installers to resubmit.
- I request by email and phone my solar installers to resubmit the form but nothing happens
- I email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie to request the original form, get the form and change the name and phone number of my wife details
- I email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie with the updated form and asked for 1) confirmation that the issue is resolved 2) if I can get paid retrospectively due to
-- Get a reply saying no I won't be paid retrospectively ... since they didn't mention 1), I thought it must be OK
- A month later I check my esbnetworks and electric-ireland accounts and see that although the smart meter is showing exports, no exports are shown in my accounts
- Yesterday phoned ESB and am told that I am still not registered.
- I email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie requesting my status and if not OK then why did they not say so when I submitted the updated form.
- I get a quick reply 'As per my previous email we require an updated NC6 form signed from a safe electric electrician.' I take this to mean that I can't submit the form on behalf of the installers.

Seems to me that ESB has a strong incentive to make this as difficult as possible (they save money by not paying exporters to the grid ... nothing to do with Electric Ireland). I don't think the solar installers had a legal obligation to submit the form and aren't helping (3 years later they have no incentive to get involved again).

I hope this serves as a warning to anyone else getting solar to be sure to give their exact account details to their installer.

Anyone think I have grounds to complain? Are they legally entitled to reject the form due to a clerical error ?

Of course they are - you need to chase the installer to resubmit the correct form

It is hardly anyone's fault except yours, sorry to be blunt

Of course they are - you need to chase the installer to resubmit the correct form

It is hardly anyone's fault except yours, sorry to be blunt
Wondering which step in the above chain was my fault ...
- installer didn't ask me for the name on the esb account, I never saw the NC6 form
- esb didn't include me in the email reply to the installer rejecting the application (despite my email address being on the NC6 form with note 'The Customer's email address is required to send a confirmation email regarding this application')
- I've lost count of the number of emails and phone calls that I made trying to resolve this

The MPRN + the address + eircode uniquely identify the property. The purpose of the NC6 is to verify that the equipment/installation meets technical standards to ensure safe operation. Why should ESB get to reject the form because a detail (not related to safety or identification of the site) is incorrect ... and then benefit from having rejected it for nearly 3 years. Who gets to decide that ... maybe the regulator ?

Last edited:
I think you have grounds for a formal complaint; some common sense should apply here.

"I email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie to request the original form, get the form and change the name and phone number of my wife details"

Is your wife the registered account holder?
This may be your problem - i would be very disappointed if any service provider, discussed my account details with a third party without authorization from me. When i call any of them, there seems to be a lot of security questions (name, phone no etc) before they will discuss my query.

Make the complaint by all means but, as JPD says it may be best to chase the installer to resubmit the form with the current acc holder name, phone no, and acc number. This will resolve the issue for you.

After that, get the account holder to call ESB, and submit the "note of authority" so that you can discuss the account in future, or change the account data to your name and details.

Hi folks,

am wondering if I have grounds to complain to the CRU because ESB Networks refused (and still refuse) to accept the NC6 form submitted by the solar installers. The reason for rejecting the form is that the name and phone number does not match the account holder. The form's MPRN and address was correct but has my name whereas ESB Networks had only my wife's name and number.

Timeline
2021: I have an old day & night meter and was not aware of 'deemed export'.
2021: Installed 18 solar panel (7kW peak) with a 5kW inverter.
2022: Phone ESB networks to ask to be prioritized for a smart meter ... they said that there weren't updating day and night yet
2022: Phone Electric Ireland to put my name on the the account (they call this a 'note of authority', is needed for proof of residence, not related to solar)
2023: All my neigbours without solar now have a smart meter so I phone ESB again and they post a letter saying the meter is coming
2023: Phone again, same thing happens again (letter in post) but then nothing
2024: Phone more frequently and in early summer get contact details of contractors they are sending to install the meter
2024: Smart Meter is installed in early July and phone Electic Ireland to ensure that I will finally get paid for exports.
- They say that I am not registered as a solar exporter and I need to contact the solar installers.
- Solar installers say that did submit and esb probably lost it.
- who say that they rejected the NC6 form because of incorrect nane and phone number and I need to get my installers to resubmit.
- I request by email and phone my solar installers to resubmit the form but nothing happens
- I email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie to request the original form, get the form and change the name and phone number of my wife details
- I email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie with the updated form and asked for 1) confirmation that the issue is resolved 2) if I can get paid retrospectively due to
-- Get a reply saying no I won't be paid retrospectively ... since they didn't mention 1), I thought it must be OK
- A month later I check my esbnetworks and electric-ireland accounts and see that although the smart meter is showing exports, no exports are shown in my accounts
- Yesterday phoned ESB and am told that I am still not registered.
- I email requesting my status and if not OK then why did they not say so when I submitted the updated form.
- I get a quick reply 'As per my previous email we require an updated NC6 form signed from a safe electric electrician.' I take this to mean that I can't submit the form on behalf of the installers.

Seems to me that ESB has a strong incentive to make this as difficult as possible (they save money by not paying exporters to the grid ... nothing to do with Electric Ireland). I don't think the solar installers had a legal obligation to submit the form and aren't helping (3 years later they have no incentive to get involved again).

I hope this serves as a warning to anyone else getting solar to be sure to give their exact account details to their installer.

Anyone think I have grounds to complain? Are they legally entitled to reject the form due to a clerical error ?
Any qualified electrician can submit the NC6 it does not have to be the installer .
There is no need to have an SEAI approved installer sign off unless you are applying for a grant.
I suppose you wisely installed storage batteries. In that case and with the right tariff buy at night only if you must and use the solar power to store as much as possible so you buy no power or as little as possible. Especially at peak charge times.
Get any qualified electrician to submits new NC6

Any qualified electrician can submit the NC6 it does not have to be the installer .
There is no need to have an SEAI approved installer sign off unless you are applying for a grant.
I suppose you wisely installed storage batteries. In that case and with the right tariff buy at night only if you must and use the solar power to store as much as possible so you buy no power or as little as possible. Especially at peak charge times.
Get any qualified electrician to submits new NC6
Thanks all. @Radioman Re 'Any qualified electrician': retrospective-micro-generation-registration-process says that it has to be signed by a 'Safe Electric' installer. I have been been running off the battery during the day until 5 weeks ago. Someone on this forum said that they charge their EV at night even though solar is available because of the positive price difference between export-tarrif - night-rate. So I did the same from the day I had resubmitted the original form in my wife's name and ESBN again didn't tell me that they didn't accept it (not signed by a 'Safe Electric' installer). A month later I find that I got billed for 157kWh night consumption(expected) and no credit for the extra solar - felt like another poke in the eye from ESBN. Back on the battery again.

@Giggs11 Yes, my wife is the registered account holder. Agreed that a third party should not be able to discuss the account. But I was added as a 'note of authority' in 2022. Given that name and phone number are the security questions asked when you phone, ESBN would likely argue that the name on the form is security related - but this is extremely weak security if a rogue installer is installing an unwanted solar system and they already know MPRN + the address + eircode.

Back