Nationalism defined

Purple

Taken from
http://www.theonion.com/articles/im-prepared-to-give-my-life-for-this-or-any-countr,11298/

As a true patriot, I would gladly die in battle defending my homeland. I love my country more than my own life. But I would also be more than willing to give my last breath in the name of, say, Mexico, Panama, Japan, or the Czech Republic. The most honorable thing a man can do is lay down his life for his country. Or another country. The important thing is that it's a country.

Like those heroes who spilled their blood fighting for independence against the British Empire, I, too, would forfeit everything to win for my countrymen the right to be governed by politicians in our own capital instead of in a capital located further away. Nothing is more profound or more sacred than to die for one's country, an adjacent country, or some other, foreign country.

The truth is, there are a lot of countries, each of which is the most noble cause possible to die for. I only regret that I have but one life to lose for but one country.

I would not hesitate to give my life for or against any other noble nation. Come to think of it, I would even die for a neutral third party caught in the crossfire during a heroic peacekeeping effort, just so long as my death would be in some way related to a country of some kind. That's how committed I am to the concept of nationalism.

The bottom line is that the current boundaries of a nation are worth protecting at all costs. Otherwise, what would so many brave and patriotic souls have lost their lives for?

I was lucky enough to be born in one of the 200 greatest countries in the world, and I promised myself long ago that I would never forget it. I can only hope to someday have the privilege of protecting this great land against whomever may seek to do it harm. Or to defend some other country against whomever may seek to do it harm. And vice versa.

Ideally, I'd like to die for a country that was at least in the Western hemisphere but it'd be just as heroic to expire bravely on the end of a pointed stick deep in the jungles of Africa. My wife would be widowed and my children orphaned, but they would take solace in the knowledge that I had given my life to a cause that the people of some nation believed in.

I only ask that I be given a soldier's funeral so that I may be buried holding the flag or flags of wherever it was I was fighting for.

There comes a time when all of us, no matter who we are, heed the call to the battlefield. It is a call we cannot and should not ignore, no matter where it is coming from. And if I must die, in the service of this or that country, I only hope I can at least take as many of the enemy with me as possible before I fall and breathe my last. Unless of course, they're also fighting for a country. In which case, their deaths, at my hands, will have been honorable—because they, like me, would have died for a country.

Without nationalism, our deaths in the countless wars we constantly wage to defend our own nations against others defending their own nations against us would seem arbitrary, almost meaningless. But as long as we have a higher purpose—the love of whatever country we happen to be fighting for—we will always know we did not lose our lives in vain.

Then of course you could always say that its madness to give up your life for a bit of turf.

I'd find that more cynical than funny. The writer needs to watch Braveheart!

I actually find it very distasteful when the likes of Kevin Myers, etc knock the aspirations of 1916. There are genuine causes to fight for such as standing up to oppression.

Fight for your own country, maybe, but there's not a chance of me dying for any other country in the world.

I'd find that more cynical than funny. The writer needs to watch Braveheart!

I actually find it very distasteful when the likes of Kevin Myers, etc knock the aspirations of 1916. There are genuine causes to fight for such as standing up to oppression.

The Onion, cynical??? Never !!!

By the way, one of the problems with nationalism is that to many of its' proponents get their history lessons from the likes of Braveheart, or Wolfe Tones songs, or mythological tales from the Field of Blackbirds, or accounts of the Divine Winds or ..........

Stll, its better than fighting for a Queen or a Pope or a communist Dictator or a facist demigod, isn't it?

Hillarious article, as usual from the onion. And more than a little true. Written in the style of the great Jack Handey.

Think it does.

The article is all about being prepared to die to defend your homeland, or any other country, then we are told that "The rights you hold are more important than the country you hold them in."

Surely this is saying the actual physical country, its soil etc is not the important thing.

Think it does.

The article is all about being prepared to die to defend your homeland, or any other country, then we are told that "The rights you hold are more important than the country you hold them in."

Surely this is saying the actual physical country, its soil etc is not the important thing.

The article is written with a sense of irony. I agree with the author; Nationalism is rubbish, it is the rights that you hold that matters not where you hold them.

Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori!

1 Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,

2 Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,

3 Till on the haunting flares we turned out backs,

4 And towards our distant rest began to trudge.

5 Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,

6 But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame, all blind;

7 Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

8 Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

9 Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!--An ecstasy of fumbling

10 Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,

11 But someone still was yelling out and stumbling

12 And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime.--

13 Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,

14 As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

15 In all my dreams before my helpless sight

16 He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

17 If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace

18 Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

19 And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,

20 His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin,

21 If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood

22 Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs

23 Bitter as the cud

24 Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--

25 My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

26 To children ardent for some desperate glory,

27 The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est

28 Pro patria mori.

I actually find it very distasteful when the likes of Kevin Myers, etc knock the aspirations of 1916.
I find the current Irish Government very distasteful.

Remember, without national borders, we'd have all sorts of third world people coming to Ireland wanting money and luxury. Our own government wouldn't be able to boss people around either.

You would have loved the thousands of Dubliners that lined the streets to jeer and mock and spit on the rebels as they were led along the streets by British soldiers to the prisons and internment camps. At the time, the rebels were hated for destroying the city. Then the executions started (silly move by the British) and by the end of those, all changed, changed utterly etc etc

Back