National Irish Bank to Northern Rock - Online transfer problems.

Dinarius

On 26/09/2007 I transferred €1000 from my National Irish Bank (NIB) online account to my Northern Rock online account.

The €1000 appeared in my Northern Rock account the following day, 27/09/2007.

On 27/09/2007 I transferred €15,000 from NIB to NR.

This amount has yet to appear in my NR account.

Speaking to NIB, they say that the money was transferred and they don't have it. They say it may be in a holding account and that NR may eventually credit it to my account along with a lot of other transactions - these lump transactions are common, apparently.

NIB admit that it is impossible to input the details incorrectly - i.e. by me. Having set up the NR details in my NIB account, I only have to input the amount (this appears correctly in the debit column now) and the password - obviously, nothing happens if I input this incorrectly. So, the system is pretty much fool proof.

Speaking to NR, they say that they have no record of having received the money and that NIB should be my first port of call.

The Banking Regulator would appear to agree with NR and they have given me the details of who I should write to in NIB, if it isn't sorted out today.

Obviously, I want my €15,000 back. But, I'd also like the 6 days interest too.

Anyone ever had a similar experience?

D.

In the end, I called into Northern Rock yesterday afternoon.

Within 90 seconds (literally!) they had acknowledged my €15,000 transfer, backdated it to the day after the transfer (for the purpose of calculating interest) and given me a printout of the new summary.

The service could not have been better, but I had to go there to demand it. Would not have been fun if I lived in Wexford, for example.

D.

I made a transfer from UB to NR a few months ago and it didn't appear in my NR online account. It went into a holding account because NR said it didn't have enough identifying information. After contacting them using their web based secure email I normal emailed NR a screenshot of the money leaving my current account. They then transfered it from the holding account into my NR account.

The root cause was the UB system wasn't until recently sending over the reference field with the NR account number. NR back dated the interest.

Previous to that NR were figuring out who the money was for by looking at the sending account details, when I sent money from a UB account they hadn't seen before they put it into a holding account and got me to update the saved payee details on the UB online system.