National Guild of Master Craftsmen....?

Squonk

I have been looking at hiring a carpenter. Some of them are members of the National Guild of Master Craftsment http://www.nationalguild.ie/ A friend of mine tells me that memberships is no refelection of skill or qualification i.e. anyone can pay a few hundred euro to join regardless of ability, or even if they have done their apprenticeships. Is this true?

Its true anybody can join.
They say they vet prospective applicants but the reality is any body can fool their surveyors.
The best thing is to ask any tradesman you are going to let into your house for a list of references so you can check them...........and do check them.
I'm a member myself and I tell all my customers the same thing check previous work...

Recommendation is the only way to go to avoid headaches. These organisations are primarily money making rackets. Remember, if I was a 'drain cleaner' ........ I could start off The Guild of Master Drain Cleaners. Put out a lot of advertising ........ sanction other 'drain cleaners' to use my logo etc., having first charged them a hefty annual fee. The more 'drain cleaners' I get to join up, the more money I make. It'a a no brainer.

I used their list to find one, and hired one. Total waste of time. He did none of the work, and got his Brazilian's to do everything - they were fine, but he's a cowboy - it's just and excuse to charge more.

Complete waste of time that guild list, imho.

Back