National Grid (NG) Rights Issue 2024 - Ireland Shareholders excluded

OHSEE24

As a longstanding NG shareholder, I was appalled to discover that shareholders who have a registered address within the European Economic Area (which includes Ireland) were restricted from participating in the Rights issue. Because of this blatant discrimination of 'EEA' ordinary shareholders, I was unable to purchase new shares as part of the rights issue, effectively diluting (due to the company's issuance of new additional shares) my existing shareholding.

For years, I have participated in the company's dividend re-investment programme in which shareholders receive additional shares in lieu of dividend payments.

I would have thought it illegal for any PLC (FTSE 100 member) not to treat all ordinary shareholders equally? I would welcome any advice on what I might be able to do to seek fairness?

OHSEE24, Like you I could not take part in the rights issue with my certificated NG shares,
But could take part with my shares held by a UK stockbroker in a nominee account, even with my Irish address.
This is what I found on the internet.

Your ii shares are held in a nominee account in the UK, so they qualify.
In the EU only a qualified investor (i.e. a professional) will be entitled to act.

I was in same boat, but my issue was that deadline was too tight and my share holding held with degiro. I could see the rights there but I was also not able to sell them, it kept giving me an error message. However are we not entitled to some cash when the unsold or exercised rights are sold on the market, I believe this happens after the closing date?
However on degiro email it said that if the rights were not exercised they would revert to null value. However surely if we were precluded in participating anyway being outside UK then we should be entitled to this residual value

Back