Nation in denial

And this why mobile workers (which are funny enough the people which the unions want to take the money way from to re-distribute wealth) might go an leave because they have the option now that companies are starting to move away.

A couple of people I used to work with in other companies got the offer to move to either Germany or Sweden where the company intents to move large parts of it's HQ to. While previously they were of the opinion that unrooting their family would not be worth it they now might move.

The class warfare that is going on here (and sadly in the Communist Federation of America) is a joke. Large parts of the population pay nothing in taxes and the goverment relys on the "better off" to take the largest tax burden. Fair would mean that the tax burden is spread more even not having "better off" people pay more.

Agree totally with this. There's only so far you can push 'the rich' before they start exercising the options to move that are usually more available to them than to the lower paid. I never thought I would consider leaving Ireland but we are already thinking about the logistics of when the best time to leave in the next couple of years would be - taking into account state exams for our children etc. Our children were the only thing keeping us here but to be honest, they will probably be better off finishing their education in an economy that doesn't seek to punish people for being better paid. A point lost on most left wing commentators is that people are usually better paid because they have worked hard at their education/skills and often work very long hours. I don't want my children to lose any drive and ambition they may have if they think any rewards for hard work will be taken away.

These aren't widget-making jobs that people will be moving from. The most mobile people are those working for foreign companies who are often indifferent to where the employee is based - if the employee goes, the job often will too. High-paid job gone - high tax gone - high employer PRSI gone - high income consumer spending gone - not good for Irish economy.

You cut expenditure in each government department back to pre-bubble levels. If each minister can't get the job done, hire in someone who will. Pretty much every large company has done the same exercise at some period in their history.
And how much does that save? And what is the impact on services?

Come on now, if you're going to propose a plan - you have to have some detail to back it up.

And how much does that save? And what is the impact on services?

Come on now, if you're going to propose a plan - you have to have some detail to back it up.

It will save what ever amount one proposes to cut. That's the starting point. (eg cut €3bn from the health budget). Services will be impacted, but taking us back to 2003/2004 levels of expenditure will not exactly send us back to the stone ages. Also surely even you won't deny that there is plenty of productivity gains to be made. As for a detailed plan, all that needs is a handful of people, a couple of months of work and most importantly a free hand to operate. If you have worked in a private company over a number of years you'll surely have seen it in action.

You'd swear this is unprecedented, there are about 150 companies worldwide with more revenues than the Irish government.

It will save what ever amount one proposes to cut. That's the starting point. (eg cut €3bn from the health budget). Services will be impacted, but taking us back to 2003/2004 levels of expenditure will not exactly send us back to the stone ages.
So you don't have a plan. You have a vague idea. You don't know how much it's going to save or what impact it's going to have.

This kind of divisive nonsense has no credibility. I've seen a $1 billion plan produced by one of the largest companies in the world - a household name. It took a team of 30 people nine months to get it to the stage that there was sufficient detail to allow a sensible decision to be made. Nobody makes billion-sized decisions with ' handful of people, a couple of months of work'.

So you don't have a plan. You have a vague idea. You don't know how much it's going to save or what impact it's going to have.

It must be great to be able to just be against everything, to never have to come up with any ideas of your own and never have to be constructive but just pick holes in other people’s ideas as if general suggestions could or even should be costed before being touted. If I tell purchasing that they need to cut back spending by 20% I don’t tell them how to do it, they are paid to figure that out themselves. What I do require is that they cut costs without any reduction in the quality or volume of material and equipment they buy.
The constant reply by some posters implying that if you can’t give a detailed costing your point is not valid is childish in the extreme.

It must be great to be able to just be against everything, to never have to come up with any ideas of your own and never have to be constructive but just pick holes in other people’s ideas

Come on Complainer, now is your opportunity to be constructive, let us in on your proposal to close the €25b gap and prove Purple wrong! I find it difficult to believe that someone who so consistently ridicules the suggestions of others with such eloquence doesn't have an alternative suggestion.

There seems to be some confusion here. I don't claim to have magic bullet solutions that all the relevant professionals working on these complex and challenging issues have missed.

I'm not a bar-stool economist. I'll leave that role to those who have delusions of grandeur about their own competence.

Yes, it’s not as if this is a financial discussion board where ideas can be suggested and debated by contributors. Down with that sort of thing, much better to be negative about everything and make snide comments about those that attempt to be positive and suggest a solution.
The old line about the only man who has never made a mistake is the one who has never done anything comes to mind.