Naming a Suspect in media

dewdrop

I was under the impression that a person could not be named until he/she was formally charged. Today a person has been named in UK as a suspect and was arrested but not charged on suspicion of murder.

Given all the kerfuffle over News International it would be interesting to know the Media's source for this leak and whether or not they were paid for it????

Thanks Brendan. I did not fully realise that this was a very topical issue in the UK at present. Is there two types of arrest. One for questioning and the other on suspicion. I have in mind "rounding up the usual suspects" and the Gardai comment "released without charge". It seems unfair that people can be named and subsequently released without charge.

If we're thinking of the same case Dewdrop, I was shocked too at the seeming presumption of guilt. If this person is innocent, they will find it very hard to resume normal life.

Thanks Brendan. I did not fully realise that this was a very topical issue in the UK at present. Is there two types of arrest. One for questioning and the other on suspicion. I have in mind "rounding up the usual suspects" and the Gardai comment "released without charge". It seems unfair that people can be named and subsequently released without charge.
Don't forget the other phrase "A file has been sent to the DPP." A phrase that does not inspire innocence in the suspect at all.

at least " a file has been sent to DPP" suggests that a charge may be made if the DPP agrees whereas "released without charge" can suggest that a person may have been involved in some way.

Back