name on deeds of house

vectra

Just wondering. My husband was left his family home, which i have moved into. His name is the sole name on the deeds. There is no mortgage on the property. Is it necessary for my name to be added to the deeds or would it be ok for him just to make a will which states that the house will be left to me. Its just that because its his original family home, i would be afraid that if anything happens to him that i would have a lot of hassle to deal with. Also if he does not make a will would i have a lot of trouble getting my name on the deeds of the house in the event that something happened.

would appreciate any help

thanks

It can be done by will, and there would probably be no problem, but....

...If it's your family home (the home in which you and your husband reside), then you can transfer the property into joint names under the Family Home Protection Act, 1976. There is no stamp duty or registration fee, although your solicitor will probably charge a fee.
The net result of this would be that you would take the house automatically by survivorship if anything happened to your husband, and there would be no necessity to go to probate for it.

It's a very straightforward transfer, so if you're planning on doing it, do negotiate fees with the solicitor.