name of book:irish author and was based on the life of either a civil servant/teacher

indebtedgal

Many years ago, I read what I consider to be one of the funniest books ever written but I cannot for the life of me remember its name.

It was an Irish author and was based on the life of either a civil servant or a teacher. The author possibly had another booked titled "vexed at my own funeral".

A friend said it might be something by Flann O Brien but I have googled it and I don't think so.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: name of book

Did he and his friends drink a lot of Guinness? if so maybe 'At Swim Two Birds' by Brian O'Nolan under the name Flann O'Brien.

Re: name of book:irish author and was based on the life of either a civil servant/tea

This rang a bell with me. I think it's the one in Purpeller's link. I remember reading it years ago, 'No time for work' by George Ryan.

Re: name of book:irish author and was based on the life of either a civil servant/tea

The book was probably 'No time for Love'.

George Ryan wrote three books 'No Time for Love', 'No time for Sex' and 'Vexed at his own funeral'.

From what you are describing the book you are looking for is 'No Time for Love' as that tells of the drunken escapades of a teacher and his schemes to work as little as possible.

The author George Ryan used to be the Bridge (card game) correspondent for the Irish Times.

Ruam

Thanks for that link Purpeller, I dont know if 'No Time For Work' is the book the OP means but it sounds like it. I have a copy of it somewhere. I must re-read 'Vexed at his own funeral' also.

Back