Name change options

N

newmesoon

So the story goes,

I was born and registered with my mother's surname. A few years later, my father's name was added when they reunited and I took on his surname. It turned out years later that he is not my biological father. It was quite a messy situation and I now no longer want to be associated with this person. I'm hoping to revert back to my original surname and if legally possible, have this man's name removed completely from my birth cert. Has anyone any suggestions on what to do here? Ideally, I would like to have my biological father's name on my cert but this is not absolutely necessary. I'm more concerned with being who I am supposed to be.

There is no problem about changing the name by which you are known. Legally, it is sufficient simply to start using the other name (think of it: that is all that women do when they marry and choose to adopt their husband's surname). It makes good sense to notify explicitly some people and institutions with whom you have dealings -- banks, credit unions, clubs, libraries, etc.

I understand that it is a very big deal to have a birth record changed, even if it is inaccurate. I suggest that you start by contacting the registrar and asking for advice on how to proceed.

I know you can apply to the High Court for your name to be changed and it's a relatively simple procedure. In relation to changing birth certificates I've never heard of that. Maybe try ringing the Births Deaths and Marriages Office to find out.

" I know you can apply to the High Court for your name to be changed and it's a relatively simple procedure...."

Padraigb and Bronte are both right.
1. You can simply change your name and start using a new one.
2. The High Court procedure is a Deed Poll; the purpose of the Deed Poll is to create a public verifiable record of your name change; You do not have to register the name change, but it is definitely useful when, e.g. applying for a passport. The procedure is a little like registering a deed for property, but even more straightforward.

Hi folks,

I hope you don't mind my butting in here. My husband changed his name to my maiden name. He also changed the spelling of his first name. It's the same name, just spelled as it would be in English-speaking countries. So basically, he has gone through the process ...changing his first and surname.

I wanted him to find out how would this change of name affect the title of our house and the mortgage we have in the bank? Would we have to get a deed for the title deeds to show that he is the same person, previously known as X, now going by the name Y. Something to be held with the title deeds forever more?

Would the fees for doing this be big? Will the bank have an issue with his changing his name? I'm most concerned about the property issues...I know he will have to register his new name with a lot of people :eek:

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the title of our house and the mortgage.

Cheers mica

He does not have to do anything. If he is on the Deeds and the mortgage as XY and is now known as XYZ, he is still the same person and still has the same interest. In any dealings with the house/deeds/mortgage, he can simply state verbally/in writing that he XYZ is one and the same person as XY named on the deeds and the mortgage.

mf

Oh thank God. I should have asked this myself before he went ahead but well, I didn't make time for it. So of course after the event, I was worried.

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply.

mica

Back