N Ire trade in question

Liar's Poker

With all the talk of going up North to buy second hand cars, are dealers up there accepting trade ins.? If not what are people doing with their current cars?, private sales?

NI dealer is pretty unlikely take a trade in on an irish reg'd car. If they do, it'll be for a pittance.

Why would they be reluctant?

Is there something wrong with cars sold here?

Cars in the south generally have lower specs. There is also the fact that people are importing cars from the North because they are cheaper that way. You won't hear from too many northern people importing Irish cars - for the same reason, they're dearer in the south. Therefore your second hand car will be worth less in the North and be difficult for the dealer to sell as it is lower speced than other second hands available there.

Last edited:
It'd need to be reregistered too presumably?

It would yes - can't see any reason a dealer in the north would accept a trade in unless as stated they were giving you next to nothing for it. It wouldn't be financially worth it for them and it would cause them more hassle. Even dealers in the south prefer it when you have no trade-in!!

northern irish cars will also tend to be more expensive than those found in the uk but your research may uncover that

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I suppose private sale is the only option.

There seems to be a glut of second hand cars for sale at the moment, am i wasting my time or should i just stay south of the border and purchase by way of trade in rather than be stuck with two cars for a number of months?

Its difficult when you have a car to get rid of. A friend of mine has been trying to sell a 03 Corolla for about 12 months now. Now he hasn't been trying too hard, but when he advertises it he gets very little response.

You may be better off trying to sell your own car privatley first and depending on how this works out evaluate your situation again. If you sell the car then you are free to go up north without the trade-in hassle. If not then look to trade-in down south.