Myth: "Few, if any, people admitted to ICU will survive"

leaving covid 19 aside what are the usual rates of survival from ICU patients throughout the year

leaving covid 19 aside what are the usual rates of survival from ICU patients throughout the year

Laughalla earlier said:

The head of ICU in Limerick hospital has said 1 in 5 people in normal circumstances will lose their life if they come to ICU.

That would be incredibly hard to quantify based on the myriad of reasons a person would end up in an ICU bed for or you could just take the overall recovery percentage which wouldn't be any use as a stat really.

Article is focused on mortality of folks on ventilators. It quotes a wide range of rates. Most of them are depressing.

Last edited:
36% mortality rate for non-COVID patients receiving advanced respiratory support reported to ICNARC from 2017 to 2019.

I.e. historically if you needed this type of assistance you are in a very serious and precarious situation.

Last edited:

It seems the uk 50 percent rate is based on 120 or so outcomes for the 800 or so that were being treated. I.e. numbers may yet change, as we don't know if outcomes for 700 others will follow this. And there might be difference between time from admission to death vs time from admission to recovery

Looking at the UK figures, in order to get an accurate percentage survival rate, wouldn't we need to understand the numbers who need to be in ICU versus those who are just there as a precaution?

The earlier article tried to figure out survival rate for people who are put on mechanical ventilators which should avoid that issue.

wouldn't we need to understand the numbers who need to be in ICU versus those who are just there as a precaution?

Why? The title of the thread is that few if any will survive.

It's not " Few if any of those who need to be in ICU vs. those who are there for precautionary purposes, will survive"

If I hear that Boris Johnson or anyone else has gone into ICU, I don't know if it's because they need it or for precautionary purposes.

In fact, the ICUs are so busy that I am surprised that they are putting anyone in who don't need to be there.

Brendan

The CMO released figures last night

227 patients have been admitted to ICU
27 have died
53 have been discharged

It's not clear if that means discharged from hospital or discharged from ICU. If it means discharged from hospital , it presumably means that a lot more have been moved from ICU back into the wards.

Do we know how many are currently in ICU?

If so, we could compile this table:

Admitted to ICU : 227
Moved from ICU but still in hospital: x
Discharged from ICU and hospital : 53
Died : 27
Currently in ICU: 147 - X

The CMO released figures last night

227 patients have been admitted to ICU
27 have died
53 have been discharged

It's not clear if that means discharged from hospital or discharged from ICU. If it means discharged from hospital , it presumably means that a lot more have been moved from ICU back into the wards.

Do we know how many are currently in ICU?

If so, we could compile this table:

Admitted to ICU : 227
Moved from ICU but still in hospital: x
Discharged from ICU and hospital : 53
Died : 27
Currently in ICU: 147 - X

I think you will struggle to get that detailed of a breakdown Brendan, and in the grand scheme of things being discharged from the ICU to an adjacent ward or out of the hospital completely is as much of a win either way currently.

It’s our ICU capacity which is going to come under threat first. We would have significant problems prior to our overall capacity ever being compromised.

I agreed that being discharged from ICU is a win. But we don't know if 53 have been discharged or 153. So the difference matters.

I think you will struggle to get that detailed of a breakdown Brendan,

Hi Eireog

But there are only two numbers missing and either of them would complete the table as the other can be derived.

it probably has been announced how many are in ICU due to Covid - it's just I can't find it.

Brendan

More detailed information today

The Department of Health said the majority of admissions to intensive care units have happened in the last 10-14 days. To date, there have been 242 admissions to ICU. Of these, 153 (63%) are still in hospital.

59 people (24%) have been discharged from ICU, while 30 (12.4%) people in intensive care have died.

So far, you are twice as likely to fully recover as to die.

Brendan

Back